Reagan Vetoes Sanctions On South Africa

But House and Senate Override Is Almost Certain

WASHINGTON--President Reagan, setting the stage for one of the toughest foreign policy showdowns in his administration, yesterday vetoed legislation imposing new economic sanctions against the white-minority government of South Africa.

Deserted by many of his usual allies, Reagan does not have enough votes now to prevent the House and Senate from overriding his veto, according to the White House and Republican vote-counters in Congress.

Playing for time to find supporters, the White House delayed announcement of the veto until after the House quit work for the week, thus preventing a quick override vote in the Democratic-controlled chamber.

If an override is approved, the sanctions--including a ban on all new American investment and bank loans in South Africa--will be enforced despite Reagan's objections.

In addition to banning U.S. investment and bank loans, the new legislation would terminate landing rights in this country for South African aircraft and prohibit U.S. imports of South African uranium, coal, steel, textiles, military vehicles, agricultural products and food.

"The veto situation is one which could go either way. I believe that there are the votes in the Senate to override the veto, but I say that very reluctantly," said Sen. Richard Lugar, R-Ind., chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee, who has split with the White House on the issue.

Presidential spokesman Larry Speakes said it would be "very difficult" to round up enough votes for Reagan, and indicated the president will not wage an all-out fight if it appears certain he will lose.

"Doing nothing has always been an option," Speakes said.

Meanwhile, dozens of House and Senate members gathered at a rally at the Capitol to urge Reagan to sign the sanctions bill and, in the words of many of them, "get on the right side of history."

Sen. Alan Cranston, D-Calif., the assistant Democratic leader, said he was "very confident" the Senate can override the veto.

And Rep. Mickey Leland, D-Texas, chairman of the congressional Black caucus, told the rally: "President Reagan is waiting until the last minute like a thief in the night to veto legislation that clearly has the support of the American people."

"After years of mere negligence and immobility, the president of the United States will use the prestige and power of his office to sentence millions of South Africans to a life of cruelty and injustice," said Rep. Norman Mineta, D-Calif. "The Congress and the American public will not sustain this indecent act."

With sanctions seen as a politically popular issue in an election year, the legislation rolled through the House on a 308-77 vote and through the Senate on a 84-14 tally. Two-thirds of the members present and voting are needed to override a veto.

With a House override believed inevitable, it will be up to the Republican-ruled Senate to decide whether Reagan wins or loses.