Spikers Rally Past Lions, Erase Two-Game Deficit

By Michael J. Lartigue

The Harvard women's volleyball team defeated Columbia in front of an enthusiastic crowd of 90 spectators at the Malkin Athletic Center last night.

The women spikers made one of the most remarkable comebacks in Harvard volleyball history, as they defeated the Lions 7-15, 10-15, 15-6, 15-11, 15-10.

"It felt so good to win--everybody played really well," Harvard Captain Mia Forman said. "When we realized that we could win the match, we played even harder."

"They had stronger and bigger hitters," Columbia Coach Cindy Laughlin said. "Harvard is definitely a powerhouse team."

The first set opened with Columbia jumping to a 5-0 lead. The Crimson quickly fought back to cut the defecit to 5-3, before the Lions opened the margin to 12-4.

The second set began with Harvard scoring the first two points, but Columbia tallied fast to take a 5-3 lead.

Harvard fought back with the Crimson's Manda Schossberger blocking two consecutive shots to tie the set at 5-5. The Lions racked up three more points to take a commanding 9-5 lead.

But once again, the Crimson fought back to a 10-10 deadlock.

At the start of the third set, the Crimson found itself behind 4-0. But the spikers tallied four straight points to tie the set.

In the fifth and deciding set Columbia gave the home team a scare when it jumped out to a 5-1 lead. But the Crimson hustled and slammed its way back to a 5-5 tie.

The Crimson, led by Captain Mia Forman, took a 10-6 lead after Jodi Cassell shanked a shot off a Lion defender.

"I thought every one played well--we were determined to win the match," Harvard Coach Wayne Lem said. "The fans helped us out a lot. It's really great when a lot of fans come out and support us."