Racquetwomen Zip Dartmouth

Crimson Earns Share of Ivy Title

By Lori J. Lakin

The Harvard women's squash team earned a share of the Ivy League title by annihilating Dartmouth, 9-0, in front of 100 spectators Saturday at Hemenway Gymnasium. The victory upped the Crimson's record to 4-0 in the league (6-0 overall).

Harvard got off to a quick start when number-two Ingrid Boyum crushed Margaret Johnson in straight sets, 15-5, 15-2, 15-4.

Marianna Chilton, Sheila Morrissey, and Fern Ward followed Boyum's lead, defeating the Big Green's fourth, sixth and eighth players by identical 3-0 scores to give the Crimson a 4-0 lead in the match.

The match, and a share of the Ivy crown, was clinched when number-one Diana Edge disposed of Chris Schutz, 17-14, 15-11, 15-4.

The Crimson's Jenny Holleran (3-1), Lucy Miller (3-0), Emily Knowlton (3-0) and Mary Cyst (3-2) topped their opponents to give the Crimson its third shutout of the season.

"It's easy to get complacent and a little cocky, but I didn't think we played like that at all," Boyum said.

"I thought we played well. Sometimes it's tough to play a team when you've beaten them already."

Harvard ha defeated Dartmouth, 7-0, in the Howe Cup tournament February 8, to capture the seven-woman national championship.

"Everything has the potential to be anti-climactic," Harvard squash Coach Steve Piltch said.

Brown, which this weekend defeated Penn, 5-4, and Princeton, 6-3, finished its Ivy season with a 4-1 record, and could still share the Ivy League title with Harvard.

However, if the Crimson defeats Yale tomorrow at Hemenway to close its Ivy season at 5-0, it will snag the title outright. Harvard demolished Yale, 6-1, in the Howe Cup tourney.