Kirkland

MAIL

To the Editors of the Crimson:

I am writing to defend all of us who do not fall under the category of "intolerant." As a Kirkland House resident and a member of the Undergraduate Council I feel comfortable saying that I am speaking for a large number of men and women of Kirkland House and of Harvard University as a whole

My point is simple. I resent very much being tossed into a category of people labelled "intolerant." It is surprising that certain individuals have found it so easy to place a label on such a diverse community. Is that not the epitome of intolerance, precisely what you are criticizing?

There is and always will be room for more open-mindedness among all populations. Hopefully, the debate of the last several weeks has encouraged this. Isolated incidents have occurred which have been painful to those at the receiving end of mistreatment. At the same time, however, none of us should lose sight of the overall receptiveness of views apparent both at Kirkland and throughout Harvard. Do not discount the wide variety of interests, opinions and attitudes which are openly represented and enthusiastically supported.

Kirkland House and the Harvard community have been unfairly stereotyped as being intolerant. Take a closer look and notice that not only tolerance, but acceptance and appreciation far outweigh their opposites. Jenni Weinreb '89