Melrose Ruled Eligible For First Semester Only

By Jennifer M. Frey

In the Harvard hockey preseason prospectus, he is listed under the catgeory "Defensemen Lost."

"Kevan Melrose," it reads, with his stats in parenthesis: 2 goals, 13 assists, 15 points.

According to a statement released by Melrose yesterday, that information is no longer accurate. He's going to be back wearing the Crimson when the season opens November 10--he won't be around for the whole season, but he has been granted eligibility for the first semester, which consists of the first 16 games.

"I have received word from the NCAA and the Ivy League offices that I will be eligible to play hockey at Harvard for the first semester of the 1989-90 season," reads Melrose's statement, which was issued through the Harvard Sports Information Office. "I am waiting for written confirmation of this decision, which I am expecting to receive [today]."

Melrose was not available for any further comments yesterday.

The reasons behind the NCAA's decision to award an extra semester to Melrose, who transferred to Harvard from the University of North Dakota, will not be clear until the Ivy League releases its official statement later today.

"It's wonderful for Kevan that he has another semester," Harvard Coach Bill Cleary said. "It's unfortunate that he can't play the whole year. He has only played two years of college hockey."

According to NCAA regulations, college athletes are only accorded a five-year period during which they can complete their four years of eligibility for varsity athletics. Melrose, who enrolled at North Dakota in the fall of 1985 but never played at UND, saw his five-year period come to an end when Harvard won the NCAA Championship last spring--a game Melrose thought would be his last as a college athlete.

The NCAA decision to extend Melrose's hockey career is a major boon for Harvard, which was expecting to start the season short on experience in the defensive end.

"Once again, defense would have been a question starting the year if [Melrose] couldn't play," senior blueliner Scott McCormack said. "With him back it will help the whole team."

Melrose was a major force for the Crimson defense last season, earning All-ECAC honors and the respect--and in many cases the fear--of every forward in the league.

"His aggressiveness on the ice intimidates the entire [opposing] team," McCormack said. "The players don't even want to come near him."

It was not unusual to see the stands at Bright rock with cheers of "MELROSE, MELROSE," whenever the game got physical last season. But his 15 points and quick skating ability attest to his offensive skill.

"He's a big solid player who can skate, shoots the puck well and can see the ice well," Cleary said. "Kevan is one of the top defensemen there is anywhere. Anyone would love to have a player of his caliber."

McCormack has been Melrose's blueline buddy and road roommate for the past two seasons. To say he was happy about Melrose's good news would be an understatment.

"I am so psyched," McCormack said. "It gives the whole team a lift."

When Melrose took to the ice for his first preseason practice yesterday, the pair was skating as a blueline duo once again.