Thinclads Sweep Boston College

Mees, Woodward Qualify for IC4A's

By Ray Patricco

In its first meet of the young 1989-90 indoor track season, the Crimson defeated the Boston College Eagles Saturday at the Gordon Indoor Track and Tennis Center. The men's squad posted a 83-52 victory, while the women's team won by a 83-30 margin.

Although no Harvard records were set, a few Crimson athletes did set personal best marks. Sophomore Ed Rios, who scored a team-high 15 points in the meet, eclipsed his personal best in the high jump, as he placed second with a 6-ft., 8-in. jump. Rios also posted a 6.41 time in the 55-meter hurdles to place first in that event.

For the women, junior Megan Young set a personal best height when she cleared 5-ft., 6 1/2-in. in the high jump, topping her previous best by nearly four inches. In addition to Young's exploits, junior Meredith Rainey posted two first-place finishes to score 10 points for the Crimson, as she ran a 25.14 in the 200-meter and a 56.55 in the 400-meter.

In the men's 55-meter race, Derrick Horner placed first, running a 6.41, only seven-hundredths of second off the Harvard record. Horner also finished first in the long jump with a leap of 23-ft., 2-in.

In other action for the men, junior captain John Mees took first in the 500-meter, posting a time of 64.95. Senior Chris Woodward placed second in the 1000-meter with a 2:28.17 mark. Both times for Mees and Woodward qualify them for the IC4A's.

Harvard fared extemely well in field events, as junior John Brzezinski and freshman William Doyle finished 1-2 in the 35-lb. shot put. Brzezinski posted a 54-ft. toss, while Doyle had a 52-ft., 6-in. throw.

In the shot put, the Crimson also took first and second place, as sophomore Richard Hamilton posted a 45-ft., 2 1/2-in. mark, while junior teammate Joseph Zupanic added a 41-ft., 4-in. toss.

The men's team also scored first place finishes in the triple jump (Dean Lufkin, 46-ft., 7-in.), 400-meter (Gupta, 51.54), 800-meter (Eric Rahe, 1:54.62) and the two-mile relay (7:50.00).

In women's action, Harvard swept Boston College in the 1500-meter as freshman Rachel Lewis (4:44.88), senior captain Beth Pfefferle (4:49.94) and senior. Tina Lount (4:51.25) finished 1-2-3.

The Crimson also garnered first and second place finishes in the shot put, as sophomore Catherine Griffin had a 44-ft., 1 3/4-in. throw and sophomore Mara Beverwyk added a 35-ft., 7 3/4-in. toss. Griffin also placed first in the 20-lb. weight event with a 48-ft., 4-in. throw.

In the triple jump, sophomore Rita Raju leaped 36-ft., 6-in. to secure a first-place finish. Christine Roberge also took the top spot in the long jump with a 17-ft., 11-in. leap.

In the women's long distance events, the Crimson placed highly. In the 3000-meter run, senior Jody Dushay (9:52.93) and freshman Ellen Villa (10:25.88) finished first and second, while the women's squad scored a victory in the one mile relay with a time of 4:08.23.

Next week, the Harvard track squads will face a tough test in cross-city rival Northeastern University when the Crimson hosts the annual Harvard Invitational Saturday.