W. Swimming Extends Three-Year Ivy Streak With 100-40 Win Over Cornell

By Andy Fine

No matter what happens the rest of the season, the Harvard women's swimming team has assured itself of at least one major accomplishment this season.

The Crimson captured at least a tie of its fourth straight Ivy League title before 100 spectators at Blodgett Pool, Saturday. In its last home meet of the season, the Crimson crushed Cornell, 100-40.

Harvard (8-0 overall, 6-0 Ivy) swam to first and second place finishes in 11 events, allowing the Big Red (5-4 overall, 2-4 Ivy) to muster wins only in the 200 freestyle, the one-meter dive, the three meter dive and the 400 freestyle relay.

"I thought we'd be more tired," Coach Maura Costin Scalise said. "I was pleased with the way we swam, especially with those who shaved." Scalise added that she was particularly pleased with the performance of freshman Ruthie Tannenbaum.

Tannenbaum finished first in the 200 butterfly, 100 butterfly, and, as part of an unofficial entry, in the 400 freestyle relay.

Junior Nina Anderson, another member of the unofficial relay team, also had an outstanding meet, winning the 50 freestyle and swimming in the winning 200 medley relay.

Swimmers who captured two first place finishes included sophomore Jill Hutchinson, who helped win the 200 medley relay as well as the 100 freestyle. Junior Kaari Reierson defeated all her challengers in the 100 backstroke and the 200 backstroke. Other Crimson winners were freshmen Stacie Duncan and Jenny Moyer, sophomores Heather McCann, Fiona Fox, Anne Koerckel, Mary Ruppe and junior Mia Castle.

THE NOTEBOOK: Harvard faces Penn next week at Philadelphia, where it hopes to win the title outright. A win would give the Harvard seniors Ivy titles in all four of their years. "We should be able to beat Penn," freshman Stephanie Wired said...After Penn, the Crimson will attempt to defend its Easterns title the following weekend at Penn St. Cornell Coach Joe Lucia thinks this goal can be attained. "It should be a great meet, Lucia said. "I hope Harvard beats the scholarship schools and that the title stays in the league." As usual, the main competition will come from Pittsburgh and Penn State. This year, the raucous fans of the Nittany Lions should make it that much tougher for Harvard..."We're favored to win, but it will be tough to overcome the Penn State fans," Hutchinson admitted. Ivy League Women's Champions 1983  Brown 1984  Brown 1985  Brown 1986  Harvard 1987  Harvard 1988  Harvard