NCAA Series: From Lansing to Minneapolis to Orono

Friars Head to Maine

There will be a battle of Hockey East titans this weekend. And the winner will earn a berth in the NCAA hockey Final Four.

Providence (21-16-2) meets Maine (29-11) tonight, opening a best-of-three quarterfinal series at Alfond Arena in Orono, Me. The winner faces the Wisconsin-Minnesota victor in the national semifinals next week at St. Paul, Minn.

The two rivals have taken two very different roads to the round of eight.

"We're just happy to be here," Maine Coach Shawn Walsh said. "We're just happy to be healthy."

Maine was expected to be here. After a third-place finish in last year's NCAA tourney, the Black Bears were strongly favored to repeat as league champions. The regular-season title didn't materialize, but Maine made up for it in the post-season tournament.

Led by Hobey Baker finalist Dave Capuano, Hockey East Rookie of the Year Scott Pellerin, and goaltenders Scott King and Matt Delguidice, Maine breezed to the tournament title. The NCAA rewarded its efforts with the number-one seed in the East and a first-round bye.

Providence, on the other hand, is the Cinderella of the NCAAs.

Coming off a sub-.500 season, the Friars were predicted to finish next-to-last in the league by Hockey East coaches. But Providence shocked the conference by qualifying for the league tournament.

OT Thriller

A double-overtime loss to highly-rated Boston College followed by a big win over Northeastern allowed the Friars to sneak into the select field of 12 fighting for the collegiate title. Providence then went on to upset Northern Michigan in a thrilling three-game series last weekend to reach the NCAA quarters.

The two squads have faced each other three times this season--all close encounters. Providence won the first match, 3-1; Maine took the next two square-offs by scores of 4-3 and 6-4.

Providence Assistant Coach Jim Army warned that the previous games are of little significance.

"We're a different team from the one that lost to Maine last month," Army said. "At this point in the season, you play on emotion, and right now, we're on a real high. We're definitely playing our best hockey."

Maine's Walsh also downplayed the earlier results.

"It's a new season," the fourth-year coach said. "Whoever plays the best now will advance."

Coach Walsh is worried that his team may be a little rusty, while Providence has stayed "game-sharp."

"I am very concerned about the layoff," Walsh said. "We have only played two games in the past month. Providence is playing some of the best hockey in the country. Their series last week gives them a big advantage."

This may be true, but what may turn out to be an even bigger factor is Maine's home-ice edge. In away games, the Black Bears have a very average 11-7 record. But in front of the home crowd at Alfond, Maine has won 18 of 22 contests.

"It will be tough for anyone to take two from us at home," Walsh acknowledged.

But remember, this is the NCAA Tournament. Expect the unexpected.

Prov.-Main Facts

.The Friars lost, 2-1, in the 1985 tittle game to RPI.

.The Black Bears are making their third-straight NCAA appearance. They lost to LSSU in the 1988 Final Four.