From Kentucky to Kennedy School, Former Governor Mixes Family, Job

By Madhavi Sunder

As a young girl growing up in the South, Martha Layne Collins led a different kind of life than most of her classmates.

"I grew up in the funeral home and ambulance business," says the dynamic woman who went on to become the first female governor of the state of Kentucky. And having parents in the mortuary business naturally taught her to serve others, she says.

"I was brought up to always help people. My philosophy and the philosophy I grew up with was that I was put on this earth to make a contribution," explains Collins, who finished her four-year term as governor two years ago.

It was her parents' dedication to others, which kept them on call every day at every hour, that eventually inspired her to pursue a career in politics.

"They helped others every day, and I saw them do it," says Collins. "They practiced what they preached, and that made a big impact on me."

Collins has had an impressive career in public service. Among numerous offices, the Kentucky native was chair of the 1984 Democratic National Convention. As a spring fellow at the Kennedy School's Institute of Politics this semester, Collins teaches a study group entitled "In the Public Interest: Leadership and Decision Making."

In her short time as governor, Collins pushed through an impressive number of reforms, and she attributes this feat not only to her own abilities, but also to the power of office itself.

"Over the last few years, governors have been much more active than in the past--the governorship has evolved into an active position," says Collins. But, she warns, there are many frustrations that come with the job.

"We're responsible for a lot, but we don't have the funds," she explains. "Because we have to have a balanced budget, we have to either set priorities and cut programs or find new revenues somehow."

Collins says that while in office, she chose the last route--increasing the state's funds by encouraging tourism and industry, and thereby creating more jobs and enlarging the state's tax base.

The Kentucky go-getter, who says she likes winning more than just competing, traveled around the world to "sell the state" to foreign companies. She lured Toyota, the largest Japanese company in North America, to Kentucky, creating 4500 new jobs and a $1 billion investment for the state. More than 400 new industries opened during her term, and more than 4000 companies expanded with the help of government financing.

Altogether, Collins presided over the creation of 90,000 jobs in a state of fewer than four million people.

From Polygons to Politics

Before running for elective office, Collins taught mathematics at a middle school. And once elected, she initiated an overhaul of the state's education system.

"We built in accountability for everybody--students, teachers, principals, superintendents and board members," Collins says. "We required school board members to have had at least a high school education and to attend seminars regularly to stay informed on current educational issues."

Collins says she is particularly proud of a pilot program that brought together teachers and both state and local officials to plan a merit pay system.

"I used to be a school teacher, and I know that a lot of times as a teacher you don't like someone from above telling you what to do," she says, adding, "You like to be a part of putting the program together."

Calling the Shots

Although Collins says being a woman never stopped her from succeeding in the wily world of politics, it has made things more difficult. She says that before becoming governor, she had a wide base of support from voters and legislators, but many still questioned a woman's abilities to run a state.

However, she says, "It was very different for a lot of people when a woman began running the state and calling the shots."

Collins adds that until recently, she noted a slight decline in the number of women entering professions and politics.

"I saw a rush for women to get into the corporate world a few years ago, but when they realized they had to work harder and know more, many felt it wasn't worth the effort. They probably tried to balance a family and a career, and then found their husband or family wasn't supportive."

While Collins says her own family was supportive of her career, she adds that she often felt guilty that she did not have more time for her family.

"A lot of times when I would miss watching my daughter cheer or seeing my son in any of his projects, I'd sit back and say, `Am I going to regret this?'" Collins says.

But looking back on her career, Collins says she made the right decision. She adds that she hopes to see more women governors, senators and representatives in coming years.

"I've found that the best legislation is that which both men and women have worked on together," Collins says, explaining the benefits to be gained by having women in politics. "Often, women think of things men don't, and men think of things women don't."

After leaving office in 1987, Collins spent a year at the University of Louisville teaching international trade and economic development. As yet, she does not know what she will do when she leaves Harvard this summer, although she owns a small consulting firm back home.

"When you leave office, it takes a while to figure out what you want to do," Collins says. Since she no longer has the support staff she enjoyed as governor, she says her ability to pursue projects is limited.

Politics are not out of the picture, but Collins says she does not forsee a career in Congress.

"The legislative branch is not my strong suit," she says, explaining that she prefers to be in a policy-making position because she is not a "detail person."

"I like to motivate people--get them to work to their potential. I like trying to sell people on my ideas and coming up with them--being creative and innovative."