Police Arrest Suspects In Harvard Assault Case

Police arrested three men Sunday night in connection with a series of alleged assaults against at least two students earlier that evening, according to Cambridge police records.

Robert Templehof, 19, of 37 Carrol St., Chelsea, was arrested at 9:50 p.m. Sunday on charge of attempted unarmed robbery and assault and battery with a deadly weapon--which police records identified as a "shod foot." The arrest was made on Bow Street.

Also arrested were David Small, 22, of 10 1/2 Westcott St. in Dorchester and David Emmons, 20, of 4 Parker Rd. in Wakefield.

Eyewitnesses said yesterday that at least two students were attacked. One student, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, described one of the incidents that led to the arrests.

"About nine o'clock I was walking down Arrow Street, and the next thing I knew, three guys crowded around me and told me to give them money," said the student. "I pushed my way through them and then got across the street. There was a little pushing, and one guy tried to kick me but missed."

The student added that while the assault escalated, "some people from Adams House showed up. When the people showed up, the three guys took off. I went through Adams House and called the police from there to report it."

The District Attorney's office had no information on arraignment dates for the suspects when contacted yesterday.

"This incident illustrates the need to beef up security," said David A. Battat '91. Battat, who chairs the ad hoc committee on security for the Undergraduate Council, said the committee is exploring ways of improvingsecurity on and near campus. "We are askingquestions such as, 'Is more lighting needed?' and,'Is the Harvard Police Department understaffed?'"he said.

"Obviously these incidents happen. In thiscase, it wasn't late at night, it was a commonhour for students to be about," said Battat. "Toooften we forget that we live in a city," he said