Spence Defends Social Studies

MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

In recent weeks there have been a few published criticisms of the concentration in Social Studies. These criticisms have come from two members of the Faculty, whose expression of opinion appears to represent only their individual views. Wider public reporting of this incident has, however, caused concern to some members of the Faculty, particularly those who are making significant contributions to the Social Studies concentration, and to some of the students who are following that concentration. While recognizing that the right to criticize is properly protected by the principles of free speech, it is essential that there be no ambiguity about the views of the administration of the Faculty on this matter.

The concentration in Social Studies has been and is a strong element in the undergraduate offerings of the College. It attracts students and faculty members of outstanding caliber; it has more than justified the expectations of the Faculty when it voted to establish the concentration some years ago. Graduates of the concentration have proved their talents in careers in a wide variety of fields. The scholarly quality of the work of its faculty members equals that of any group of young faculty members of this or any other University; we are confident that their future academic careers will continue to be a source of pride to themselves and to the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. A. Michael Spence   Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences