City Moves to Leash Dogs at Fresh Pond; Owners Wary of Restrictions on Canines

Council Will Consider Several Measures to Protect Water Supply, Joggers

By Geoffrey J. Hoffman, Contributing Reporter

Poor canine etiquette and owners' negligence may put Cambridge mutts in the doghouse when it comes to roaming free around the city's water supply--one of the last public spaces open to them.

The City Council is currently considering two proposals to put leashes on dogs at the Fresh Pond Reservoir.

"This is a continuing controversy between dog lovers and those who feel that dogs should be on leashes," said City Clerk D. Margaret Drury.

A proposal by City Councillor Edward N. Cyr will levy a $100 fine against dog owners who allow or assist a dog in swimming in the Fresh Pond reservoir.

Cambridge's current ordinance states that "dogs may go unleashed on the Fresh Pond reservation and other areas within the city which have been designated as dog-run areas," according to Drury.

Proponents of the dog restrictions said a leash law is necessary to protect public health and safety.

"It's a pretty scary situation," said Cyr. "There are a variety of public safety concerns. People cut holes in and lift the fences around Fresh Pond so their dogs can swim in the pond."

According to Cyr the dogs' habit of using the pond for more than just an innocent swim endangers the public health.

"We have dogs and large rats around the reservoir. Giardia in the water [which comes from dog feces] is a significant health concern of the Water Board," said Cyr. "The one place in the city where dogs are allowed to run free is in the public drinking water."

The issue of a dog restriction first surfaced in February 1990 when the Water Board asked the council to amend the law to require dog owners to keep pets on leashes at Fresh Pond. Strong opposition from dog owners at that time prevented the restrictions from being adopted.

Cambridge residents yesterday again expressed concern about the council's proposals, saying dogs should be allowed to roam free.

"It's unfortunate," said resident Maura J. Carrier who was at Fresh Pond yesterday with her dog Riley. "People who have dogs come down here, and they're pretty responsible. This is the only place you can walk around the city, and your dog can run a little bit."

"It's nice to have one place in Cambridge where their dogs can run freely, and faster than their owners," said resident Pat M. Keegan.

The council has also formed a committee to study the "repeated attacks on joggers, strollers and other dogs" at the reservoir. Recently, a dog broke the hip of a 60 year-old woman.

Cambridge resident Kenneth F. Bowles, with his dog, Alisa, said dog owners should take more responsibility in restraining their pets.

"I'd like to see it remain such that the dogs can run free, Bowles said. "However... if they [dog owners] are going to let them run freely, they have to be able to restrain them immediately."

Jeffrey I. Zaref contributed to the reporting of this story.