AAA Chooses Officers In Close-Fought Vote

By Adi Krause, Contributing Reporter

In a hotly contested election last night, members of the Asian American Association (AAA) chose Mark Kim '94 and Connie Chang '94 as copresidents.

An unprecedented five pairs of candidates ran for AAA's top office in the elections, which drew about 150 of the group's members to Harvard Hall.

Kim and Chang, running on a platform of "experience, leadership and vision," won the co-presidency in a run-off with Fred Huang '94 and Philip Chang '94.

"Without a doubt this was the most intense AAA elections I have seen," said former President Linda Wei '93. "I believe that Mark and Connie have the energy, innovation and experience they will need to head AAA, andI have great confidence in them."

One of the most pressing issues faced by thecandidates revolved around AAA's role in the Asiancommunity at Harvard.

"I think that the AAA is not the Asianorganization on campus, it's an Asian organizationon campus," said Kim.

Kim supported Huang's conception of AAA as a"basement organization" rather than an umbrellaorganization that links many subgroups.

Philip Chang, who was elected vice president,called for more unity among the variousAsian-American organizations.

"I want to work on unity among Asians and amore involved membership," he said.

Connie Chang also stressed the importance ofstronger ties with other Asian organizations suchas the South Asian Association and the HarvardVietnamese Organization.

Responding to the last week's coalition protestof City University of New York Professor LeonardJeffries, in which AAA played a leading role, allcandidates stressed the need for AAA to becomemore political.

"AAA needs to have a more active voice oncampus. Twenty percent of the students are Asians,yet AAA is a trailer voice to the BSA or theHillel," said Kenji N. Hall '93.

Hall campaigned with Sandra Chang for theco-presidency.

Voters echoed this sentiment, saying they hopeto see greater activism by the Asian students'association in the future.

"I think that they need to be less isolationistand expand their connections with other culturalgroups," said Colin Fan '95.

In fact, all the candidates steered away fromdiscussing dances and other social events whichmany acknowledged as unsuccessful last year.

Instead, in response to questions from thecrowd, they addressed political and social issuessuch as Japan-bashing and the 50th anniversary ofthe Japanese internment camps in response toquestions from the crowd.

Connie Chang, responding to a question aboutthe creation of an ethnic studies department atHarvard, proposed working with other schools whoalready have programs in Asian-American studies.

The positions of treasurer and secretary werefilled by Badsah Mukhopadhyay '94 and Fred Huang'93 respectively