Youths Assault Students

Use Mace In Night Attack

By Richelle Nessralla, Contributing Reporter

Four male undergraduates were allegedly assaulted with a Mace behind the Leverett House towers early Sunday morning, Harvard police said yesterday.

No serious injuries were reported but the student were treated at University Health Services (UHS).

Police said that two assailants sprayed the students with Mace, which police consider a dangerous weapon, at approximately 1 a.m. yesterday.

Several of the students chased the attackers. The students succeeded in capturing one of the attackers, Trevor O'Neil of Barnstable, Mass, and pinned him to the ground.

Students later told police that O'Neil then said "Okay, now you get stabbed." At that point the student released him and he fled. The other attacker had disappeared.

O'Neil was apprehended minutes later by police at the corner of Mill and DeWolfe Streets after a the students gave an account of the incident to a passing police patrol and a description was broadcast over police radio.

The student positively identified O'Neil as one of the two assailants but no arrest was made.

The students were then taken to UHS where theireyes were flushed, police said.

Police described O'Neil as a white male,18-years-old and 5'9" tall. He was wearing a whitebaseball cap, grey hooded sweatshirt and a tancoat at the time of the alleged attack.

Complaints will be filed today against O'Neilfor five accounts of assault with a deadly weaponin Middlesex County District Court.

The second suspect is described by police aswearing a black baseball cap and estimated to beof high school age.

Police last night would not release the namesof the students involved, saying only that theywere residents of Mather House