Clinton Accepts Nomination; Perot Ends Presidential Bid

Ark. Gov. Addresses Convention

By Ira E. Stoll, Special to The Crimson

NEW YORK--Arkansas Gov. Bill Clinton yesterday accepted his party's nomination for President of the United States in a speech emphasizing patriotism and family values, attacking President Bush and calling for a "New Covenant" in which government and citizens would join together to "revitalize America."

Clinton's message was targeted at the middle class and middle America. "In the name of all the people who do the work, pay the taxes, raise the kids and play by the rules--of the hard-working Americans who make up our forgotten middle class, I proudly accept your nomination for President of the United States of America," Clinton said.

Earlier in the evening session of the Democratic Convention, Tennessee Sen. Albert A. Gore Jr. '69 accepted his party's nomination for the Vice Presidency.

Clinton made his address a patchwork of old and new ideas drawn from conservative Republicans, liberal Democrats and even Texas billionaire H. Ross Perot, who announced yesterday that he will not run for president. Clinton also asked former Perot supporters to back him in November.

From conservative Republicans, Clinton drew the emphasis on patriotism and family values. It was presidential candidate George Bush who successfully made the Pledge of Allegiance a campaign issue in 1988.

But last night, it was Clinton who recited the words and claimed them for his own campaign.

"One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all," Clinton said. "That is our Pledge of Allegiance and that is what the New Covenant is all about."

Perot and Vice President Dan Quayle have said that the lack of family valuesis a serious problem in America. Last night it wasClinton's turn to offer his thoughts about familyvalues, describing what his mother, grandfather,wife and daughter meant to him.

"I want an America where family values live inour actions, not just in our speeches, an Americathat includes every family," Clinton said.

Clinton's speech in many ways appeared to be asignal that the Democratic party had learned fromits defeats in five of the last six presidentialelections. "There is not a program in governmentfor every problem," he said.

Former President Ronald W. Reagan made welfareabuse a successful campaign issue. Clinton'sacceptance speech called for "an America where weend welfare as we know it...welfare must be asecond chance, not a way of life."

In addition, Clinton and Gore tried to takeover religion from the Republican territory,repeatedly refering to God and scripture.

Clinton also incorporated ideas from his ownparty. From former Massachusetts Sen. Paul E.Tsongas, Clinton borrowed the emphasis on economicrenewal and opportunity. Clinton began the speechby quoting his platform:

"The most important family policy, urbanpolicy, labor policy, minority policy and foreignpolicy America can have is an expanding,entrepreneurial economy of high-wage, high-skilljobs,." he said.

The idea of asking Americans to pitch in andhelp make government work was reminiscent of theinaugural address of John F. Kennedy '40. Clintontold Americans last night, "you must do your part,you must be responsible."

The speech included a pitch for Clinton's"domestic G.I. Bill" proposal for student loans.Clinton said the New Covenant creates "an Americain which the doors of college are thrown open onceagain to the sons and daughters of stenographersand steelworkers. We'll say, everybody can borrowthe money to go to college. But you must do yourpart. You must pay it back from your paychecks, orbetter yet, by going back home and serving yourcommunities."

Clinton's speech was generally well received bythe delegates and guests gathered in MadisonSquare Garden. The audience was on its feet afterthe speech, swaying and waving signs to the tuneof "Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow" ascolorful balloons dropped from the ceiling.

The address was thin on policy specifics and ondiscussion of foreign affairs. Clinton mentionedthe homeless once in the 53-minute speech, andnever uttered the word "environment" withoutsaying "jobs" or "growth" in the same breath.

Idealistic buzzwords made up a good part of thespeech, and Clinton at times would rattle them offone after the other. "Old-fashioned Americans fora new time. Opportunity. Responsibility.Community," he said, describing the "NewCovenant."

Clinton was sharply critical of Bush, sayingthe president "derides and degrades the Americantradition of seeing and seeking a better future."

But in the end, the candidate who was raised bya widowed mother in Hope, Arkansas was optimisticabout the possibilities for change.

"I still believe in a place called Hope,"Clinton said.

In his speech, Gore was appropriatelyvice-presidential, devoting much of his speech topraising the top half of his ticket and spendingcomparatively little time on his favorite issue,the environment.

"When we bring the community of Americatogether, we will rekindle the American spirit andrenew this nation for generations to come," Goresaid. "And the way to begin is to elect BillClinton President of the United States ofAmerica!"

Like Clinton, Gore brought family values andpatriotism to his speech.

"I'm proud my father and mother could be heretonight to see me join a ticket that will makegood on the best advice they ever gave me: to tellthe truth and always love my country," Gore said.

In perhaps the evening's most emotional moment,Gore described in detail the experience of seeinghis son, Albert, struck by a car and thrown 30feet three years ago.

"When you've seen your reflection in the emptystare of a boy waiting for his second breath oflife, you realize that we weren't put here onearth to look out for our needs alone," Gore said."We're part of something much larger thanourselves."

Gore likened America to his injured son. "Ourdemocracy is lying there in the gutter waiting forus to give it a second breath of life," Gore said.

And Gore, too, changed his speech at the lastminute in order to make a "special plea" to Perotsupporters.

"Stay involved," Gore told fans of the maverickTexan. "You have already changed politics for thiscountry for the better. Don't give up on yourfight for change."

Brian D. Ellison contributed to thereporting of this article.