Kennedy Calls Reform In Health Care Critical

By Joshua S. Kreitzer, Contributing Reporter

In address at the Harvard School of Public Health Monday, Sen. Edward M. Kennedy '54-'56 (D-Mass.) predicted Monday that, despite opposition from interest groups, Congress could pass a major health care reform bill this year.

"The gridlock is over," said Kennedy, chair of the Senate Labor and Human Resources Committee.

Kennedy's speech followed Clinton's announcement Monday that Hillary Clinton would chair the President's Task Force on National Health Reform.

Kennedy said that Congress is willing to pass a plan which would eventually cover the estimated 36 million Americans currently without health insurance.

"Enacting legislation this year is a realistic target," Kennedy said.

Such a plan would phase in coverage, first extending coverage to uninsured women and children. Employees of medium and large businesses would be next, followed by small-business employees.

President Clinton has promised subsidies to small businesses and financial aid to the unemployed to help offset the cost of health care.

Kennedy said the proposal he described would not be a single-payer system in which the federal government would replace insurance companies. Such a system, he said, would require at least five years to pass, due to the cost.

"I quite frankly think that's unrealistic in today's world," Kennedy said. "I don't think we should wait another five to 10 years to get it, and I think it would take that long, given the size of new revenues needed."

Professor of the Economics of Medicine Rashi Fein, who attended Kennedy'sspeech, said the senator's proposal would avoidthe rationing of health care.

"At the present time, we have rationing ofhealth care in the United States. Some people arerationed out by price," Fein said. "SenatorKennedy's proposal would distribute the availablecare in a much more equitable manner."

This story was compiled with wiredispatches.