Six Harvardians Win Marshall Scholarships to Study in England

By Elizabeth M. Angell

Five Harvard seniors and one alumnnus have been awarded the 1994 British Marshall Scholarships.

The six Harvard recipients are Niko Canner '94 of Amherst, Mass.; Arthur P. Chu '94 of Albequerque, N.M.; Alexander M. Johnston '94 of Amherst, Mass.; Paras P. Mehta '94 of Cerritos, Calif., Tracy Tomlinson '94 of Nashville, Tenn.; and Angela Lee '92. They will receive scholarships for two years of study at any British university.

"Aside from the honor, it's nice to have the next two or three years of my life planned and a promising academic environment in which to spend it," said Mehta, a mathematics concentrator who said he plans to earn a philosophy degree.

Chu, a Phi Beta Kappa physics concentrator, said he will study quantum optics at Imperial College of Science and Technology of the University of London.

While the two-year scholarship appeals to many students, not all of the Harvard winners are accepting the scholarship.

One of the five, Johnston, chose instead to accept the offer of a Rhodes scholarship, which does not have as stringent grade requirements.

"I felt like the Rhodes was something I'd heard about a long time ago and I'm interested in working in state government...and the Rhodes is a little more well-known," said Johnston, a social studies concentrator.

He said he based his final decision on the fact that unlike the Rhodes, the Marshall scholarship would be offered to an alternate if he turned it down.

Johnston, who ran varsity cross country his first two years at Harvard, has been the chair of Habitat for Humanity, on the board of directors of Phillips Brooks House and captain of dorm crew. He said he believes the combination of his academic interest in American housing policy and his hands-on experience in community service made him appealing to both the Rhodes and Marshall committees.

Canner, an economics concentrator, said he plans to study philosophy at Oxford. He said he looks forward to having "some time and space and freedom to think without following a career path."

Canner is the poetry editor of the Advocate, a teaching fellow at the Kennedy School of Government and on staff at the Writing Center. He said he hopes to finish a book of poems which he has worked on as an independent studythis year.

Tomlinson, an English concentrator, said shewill continue her current thesis work on Jacobeanwomen's letters by studying Renaissance Englishliterature at Oxford.

The Marshall Scholarships were established bythe British government to express their gratitudefor the Marshall Plan. The program bringsintellectually distinguished American students tostudy in the United Kingdom.

Applicants must have a grade point average of3.7 or higher in courses taken after their firstyear, and they must be endorsed by theireducational institution or employer.

The scholarships, which allow study in anydiscipline, cover the cost of living, tuition,book fees and travel to and from the UnitedStates