Use of Quote Exploited Personal Story

I am writing in response to the 2/22/93 article about Safety Walk. I appreciated the Crimson's coverage of our organization and I thought the article well-researched, but I was disturbed by the final layout of the story. While I was not uncomfortable with my statement about the 12 boys who harassed me being included in the article, I found it inappropriate material for a pull-out quotation.

It is my understanding that the highlighted quotes of any article should emphasize the most critical aspects of the story; in my opinion, my personal experiences are far from the most important part of the walking escort. There is no question that Safety Walk grew out of difficult situations my friends and I have encountered while walking alone, but we have not chosen to sensationalize these experiences--doing so is painful and unnecessary. I realize that we may disagree on the most newsworthy aspects of what I told you about Safety Walk, but I regret that the Crimson chose what I consider to be a cheap sell at my personal cost. Kate Hanify '93   Safety Walk Organizer