Composer Wraps Up 3-Day Visit

Lectures at Paine Hall Yesterday on Musical Experiences

By Anne M. Stiler

After listening to the Boston Symphony Orchestra's premiere of his new composition "Treeline," celebrated Japanese composer Toru Takemitsu wrapped up a three-day visit to Harvard this week with a two-hour lecture at Paine Hall yesterday afternoon.

Takemitsu, who recently woo the prestigious University of Louisville Grawemeyer Award for 20-minute composition "Fantasma Cantos," spoke to a crowd of about 30 on his experiences as a composer of Concert music and film scores.

"When I compose I try to evoke a sense of the delicate nuances in nature... the moment by moment changes in a scene," the 61 year old musician said at yesterday's lecture with the aid of his manager and Japanese-English translator Peter Grilli '63-'65.

Takemitsu, who has written scores for nearly 100 movies, compared his compositional style to "Walking through a Japanese garden."

"The pathway through it isn't linear like in an English garden, there's no logical process from beginning to end. That's how my music is, too--more circular," he said.

The composer's dedication to music stems his during World War other laborers for the Japanese armed were only allowed to

When he overheard a smuggled recording of the popular . Speak to Takemitsu decided on his future career.

"Hill never forget being deeply moved by that European song, he said. "I made up my mind right then and there that it this war would ever end, I would devote my life to magic."

Now, after a 35-year career, the self-taught musician looks back on the fruits of this initial inspiration including scores for the well-known Japanese movies "Ran," "Kwaiden" and Hiri Kire," among many others. One of these, "Dodes kaden," was shown at the Carpenter Center on Tuesday.

The film described by Takemitsu as "mainly heavy and dark are punctuated by his appropriately suspenseful music.

The composer is noted for his use of traditional Japanese instruments in films as well as computer generated sounds.

After his lecture yesterday, the composer gave advice for aspiring composers and musicians. "Listen, Listenings very important," he said.

"Everybody can compose now with computers and new technology. It's important to open your ears, listen to music and everything around you. Music is living, it doesn't exist on paper," he said.

Takemitsu work will be performed on October 24 at 8.00 p.m. at the New England Conservatory of Musics .

He will attendant October 27 symposium on "The Role of the Artist in Contemporary Japan" at the Museum of Pipe Arts.

In addition to composing popular music, Takemitsu has had a distinguished acaderne career.

He has been it composer-in-residence at Yale University the Tanglewood Music Festival, the New England Conservation and several other universities and festivals. His music has been performed by conductor Seiji and cellist Yo-Yo Ma '76.

In addition to Takemitsu has received honorary doctorates from University of Leeds and University of Durham and prizes as the Prix International de Maurice Ravel and the Culture Award.