Softball Wins Two

By Deirdre K. Mcnamer

Harvard's women's softball team improved its record to 5-9 yesterday as it tromped over Rhode Island College in a doubleheader at Providence, R.I.

The team posted two easy wins, via the eight run rule, and was able to board the buses for home a little early. Junior Elizabeth Walker pitched the first game, which was called at the top of the seventh when Harvard went ahead 10-1.

For the nightcap, freshman Rachel Salzman took the mound. The Crimson proceeded to rout RIC 11-3 and forced an early end to this game as well, in the fifth inning.

RIC was admittedly a weaker opponent than what Harvard has faced in recent contests, yet it was a good chance for the Crimson to showcase its stick skills.

"Their pitching was really down compared do what we've been going up against," junior pitcher/outfielder Jana Meader said. "Our hitting really came through, and we got a chance to run bunts and squeeze plays which we don't normally do."

In the fourth inning of game one, senior Ann Kennon bunted a slow pitch which allowed freshman Katina Lee to complete a successful squeeze play from third base. Harvard attempted yet another squeeze play in the nightcap but was unsuccessful.

Defensively Harvard was all there. RIC loaded the bases with no outs in the fifth inning of the opener and threatened to thwart Harvard's efforts to end the game early. The Crimson put away the next three batters and went on to victory.

"Most of our innings [in the field] were three up three down," said senior Christine Vogt. "We were pretty solid defensively."

Harvard will take on Maine and Vermont this weekend at Soldiers Field.