Harvard Club Seeks Fair Settlement

To the Editors:

After reading his characterization of the issues involved in the strike against the Harvard Club of New York City by Local 6 of the Hotel, Restaurant & Club Employees Union ("Harvard Club Depends Upon Unions for Fiscal Survival," Letters to the Editors, September 24), I can understand why David Ramos says he is confused about the club's position.

What the Harvard club needs, first and foremost, is the ability to manage its costs. This is in the interest of employees as well as members. After all, the best job security we can offer employees is a club whose operations are economically sound.

We've been able to manage costs during the strike because our temporary workers are not subject to the union's archaic work rules and restrictive job practices. In our talks with the union, we are trying to achieve the same level of flexibility in work assignments of employees represented by Local 6.

The work-rule changes we're seeking are clear and straightforward. Employees will continue to work in their areas of assignment, but we need to be able, for example, to assign a waiter to an extra table when a colleague is out sick, and to have bus boys sort the silverware from the china. Unfortunately, the union's own work rules and practices simply don't permit such efficient and effective use of employees' time.

Achieving flexibility will help the club manage its costs and enable us to increase wages and continue providing benefits that include fully paid medical-insurance premiums.

The Harvard Club's Board of Managers, like the employees and club members, wants the strike settled sooner than later. What we all need is an agreement that's fair to employees and to the club --Charlotte P. Armstrong '49, L'53   Vice President,   Harvard Club of New York City