Numbers of Harvard Grads in Congress Down

By Valerie J. Macmillan

Harvard may be a breeding ground for tomorrow's leaders, but it's losing ground today.

The January-February issue of Harvard Magazine counts 40 Harvard affiliates in the 104th Congress, down from 48 in the 103rd.

Only 10 members of the current Congress were Harvard undergraduates, and 35 members total have other degrees from Harvard.

"We've always had more than our fair share of members of the Congress," said John P. Reardon Jr. '60, executive director of the Harvard Alumni Association. "We've had very large numbers of people, especially in the last 30-40 years."

Harvard Connections

Decreased numbers don't mean decreased connections, however.

Rep. Robert C. Scott '69 (D-Va.) lived in Dunster House with Vice President Albert Gore '69.

"I was good friends with his roommate," Scott said. "He was just one of the guys."

Rep. Thomas E. Petri '62 (R-Wis.) was involved in politics even at Harvard. As a member of the Undergraduate Council, he worked to free up study hours at Lamont Library and to lift restrictions on campus-wide parties over Head of the Charles weekend.

"[Rep.] Barney Frank ['61 (D-Mass.)] and I were on the student council together," Petri said.

"We weren't alike then either," he said.

Frank remembers Petri, too.

"He was called Tim then," Frank said. "He was a moderate Republican."

'Build Confidence'

Frank said his time at Harvard helped prepare him for the political arena.

"[Harvard] does help if you're interested in a political career," said Frank, who was a prominent teaching fellow in the government department during his graduate student days in the 60s. "Going to Harvard helps build confidence and helps with the intimidation factor."

Rep. Michael D. Crapo (R-Ida.) also remembers Frank from his days at Harvard Law School. He attended that school with Rep. C. Christopher Cox (R-Calif.) as well.

"I remember seeing Barney Frank," Crapo said. "[Going to Harvard means] there are some personalities you are familiar with."

Crapo says the Harvard community is present on Capitol Hill and all over the world. "When you find that tie, it increases the camaraderie and support," he said.

Losses on Both Sides

Congress lost Harvard graduates from both sides of the aisle. Rep. Amory Houghton Jr. '50 (R-N.Y.) said he has seen his circle of alumni decrease in the last few years; his acquaintances from Harvard include two representatives who recently departed the House, Bill Green '50 and Hamilton Fish Jr. '47.

"We thought alike," Houghton said. "We were all Dewey-Rockefeller Republicans."

Houghton concentrated in government and history. He was involved in the Young Republicans Club.

Despite the losses, Harvard has strong ties to leaders in both houses of Congress. Harvard College alumni currently in the Senate include Jeff Bingaman '65 (D-N.M.), Edward M. Kennedy '54-'56 (D-Mass.) and John D. Rockefeller IV '58 (D-W. Va.).

In the House, Anthony Belienson '54 (D-Calif.), Charles E. Schumer '71 (D-N.Y.) and Nancy L. Johnson '57 (D-Conn.) are all prominent members

Losses on Both Sides