New Magazine Hopes To Highlight Fashion

By Ian Z. Pervil

A group of first-year students dedicated to heightening fashion awareness at Harvard have proposed the creation of a new club, the Harvard Fashion Associates (HFA).

The group's immediate plans center around drumming up support for a new style magazine, although other projects may be in the works.

Alexander N. Olch '99, president of the proposed organization, said in an interview this week that he has a clear set of goals for HFA.

"I hope to present the wearing of clothes as art," said Olch, who appeared at the interview wearing brown corduroy pants, a pinstriped button-down shirt, a brown wool sweater and brown leather lace-up boots. "[HFA] wants to forget the traditional magazine format and present a unique approach."

HFA has submitted a proposal for official recognition as an undergraduate organization to Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III.

The club also met with Epps and presented members' ideas earlier this week. Epps will review the proposal and submit a recommendation to the Committee on College Life when it convenes on January 10. He has expressed some reservations about the club's recognition, however.

"In this case, I need some reasonable evidence that they can meet their financial obligation," Epps said. "Also, does it duplicate something we are already doing, like Fifteen Minutes?"

In addition to these requirements, the organization must meet other regulations outlined in the Handbook for Students.

Requirements include enrolling 10 undergraduate members, establishing constitutional by-laws and maintaining a majority of undergraduate editors.

HFA members continue to design their periodical, however. They plan for the magazine to forgo the traditional "What's Hot/What's Not" column people usually associate with fashion publications.

Instead, HFA will incorporate fiction and essays that have the slightest connection to couture.

"Stories will be ironic and sarcastic with a sense of humor. They may even be dramatic or poignant, but still relate to fashion in some small way," said Nick C. Malis '99, features editor and secretary.

Treasurer Alfred E. Alden E99 said he hopes the magazine will flourish.

"People are putting a lot of time into the magazine," Alden said. "Hopefully, it will be able to keep going as long as people want it."

Eventually, HFA wants to move beyond the magazine world. Members hope to plan events that will include more people and increase public awareness of fashion.

"In the future, once we have our organization off the ground, we want to look into things like a fashion show or other activities," said Olch, who has a strong background in fashion and publication experience. Still, he added, HFA wants people to take the publication seriously.

"I don't want this to come across as some hare-brained scheme. People often become so absorbed in what they're doing that they forget the expressive potential of clothing," Olch said. "You do get a kick out of buying a new shirt.