Native American Author, Artist Discusses Education

By David A. Campbell, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Gregory Cajete, professor of Education at the University of New Mexico, spoke yesterday evening before an audience of approximately 50 people at the Harvard Education Forum about an educational philosophy he bases on his experience as a teacher of indigenous peoples.

Cajete, who identifies himself as a Native American artist, author and educator, began his talk by explaining the title of his lecture, "Look to the Mountain."

The title is a metaphor, Cajete said. "[It is] a contemporary philosophy for indigenous education."

Cajete said the metaphor comes from the topography of his native land which is bounded by four sacred mountains. Elders of the community would often admonish youngsters to "Look to the Mountain."

Cajete said this advice means that people should "take their thinking to a higher plane--as if on top of a mountain."

Cajete encouraged his audience to bear in mind the larger picture, as well as the needs of the entire community.

Look to the Mountain: An Ecology of Indigenous Education, Cajete's new book, is the "synthesis of what is important in teaching and learning," according to Cajete, and it "places education in the context of community."

However, Cajete said that his writings, though subjective and non-academic, are relevant to all indigenous communities and pose important questions to society at large. Society must reexamine its educational institutions so as to be more successful at indigenous education, he added.

Although various opportunities for collaboration between indigenous and non-indigenous communities exist, change in indigenous education can come only from within, Cajete said.

"Only Indians can affect change in Indian education," he said.

But collaboration is desirable, nonetheless, Cajete said, because society needs to "empower tribal leaders to look at education in a different way."

Cajete, who was originally a biologist, also discussed the link between indigenous cultures and the natural environment, which he described as "biophilia." He said that biophilia is the "natural human love for living things."

He then used the issue of ecology to turn his attention on education and the need to support multicultural education.

Ecological education involves teaching about natural ecology--the human relationship to the natural world--but also involves "multi-cultural ecology," the human relationship to other humans," Cajete said.

Multicultural education, he said, places importance on allowing diversity while maintaining unity.

Cajete said that overall education is "something that transforms you." It involves "finding face, finding heart, and finding a foundation" to become a more complete individual.

The complete individual, Cajete said, "is a fully individuated human being" who has this type of an education.

Cajete closed by describing a trend in contemporary Western educational practices. Educators today, he said, emphasize "holistic learning" and "cultural contextualism." These ideas, Cajete said, are integral to indigenous education.

"Indigenous educational theories are being recycled in contemporary Western educational philosophy," Cajete said. He said he believes indigenous communities need to assert themselves in this period of change in education.

"Native people have to be a part of this Renaissance," he said