NOT IN MY BACKYARD

A summary of views, commentary and sometimes comedy compiled by The Harvard Crimson editorial staff.

By Melissa ROSE Langsam

We at Dartboard were amused to learn that the University waged a zoning campaign against Tom and Tom, the juice guys. Nantucket Nectars proposed building a juice bar in the former D.U. club on Dunster Street, but Harvard wouldn't have it. The reason? According to Scott Levitan, director of University and commercial properties at Harvard Planning and Real Estate, it was an issue of "potential noise disturbance" to the first-year dean, Elizabeth S. Nathans, who lives next door.

We've got to laugh. No offense meant to Nathans, who's a lovely woman, but she represents the Freshman Dean's Office. The very same FDO has been telling first-years--for who knows how long--that noisiest part of residential living, part of the College experience. It comes with the territory. Frosh must learn to live with their roommates and neighbors, and living together includes tolerating your neighbors' noise.

Nathans has a sweet deal. She has no inconsiderate roommates and no vociferous neighbors; it is doubtful that juice sipping students would indeed be a major disturbance. Yet, Harvard is waged zoning battle on her behalf. We at Dartboard wonder, if the University wanted to wage a substantive crusade, why not lobby to change zoning and outlaw unwanted 4 a.m. serenades?