AAA Elects New Officers in Uncontested Race

By Dharma E. Betancourt, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

A new batch of officers for the Asian-American Association (AAA) pledge to make the organization more accessible to the general student body.

In elections held last Dec. 11, Jay F. Chen '00, who is a Crimson executive, and Caroline T. Nguyen '00, who is a Crimson editor, were selected the group's new co-presidents.

Grace C. Liu '00 and Kelly M. Yamanouchi '00, who is a Crimson editor, were elected vice-presidents.

The largest ethnic student organization, with a membership of about 1,300 students, the AAA emphazises social activism and political awareness, particularly in issues affecting the Asian-American community.

Publicity Officer Jenny I. Shen '00 said this year's board will be focusing on campus outreach.

"I do think that the AAA makes a very good impact on campus as far as educating the public on the types of issues facing Asian Americans today," she said. "But for this we need to reach as many people as possible."

Interethnic Liasons Officer Walter Kim '00 also found that one of the main problems in the past for AAA has been its inability to reach out to all Asian-Americans on campus.

"We need a bigger presence and better recognition on campus," he said.

A desire to change the organization's public image spurred Publicity Officer Halla Yang '00 to become involved in AAA's leadership.

"I was motivated to run by the realization that there is a a general complacency among Asian-Americans at Harvard," he said.

"Many Asian-Americans believe that as long as they work hard and act quietly [and] inoffensively, white America won't notice or care that they're of Asian background. Consequently, they shun AAA," he added.

Yet other officers expressed concern over student complaints that the AAA has become too political.

"We want to continue to educate people, but we also want to involve more of the student body," Liu said. "We want to incorporate the two--the educational and the social--and make the AAA more fun for everyone."

According to Nguyen, this balance will be achieved by planning more social events in addition to the educational programs already in existence.

"We plan on organizing more social activities where everyone can get together and talk to one another," she wrote in e-mail message.

Past activities for the AAA include the annual Harvard Asian-American Intercollegiate Conference, weekly study groups and the Asian Cultural Awareness month.

Nguyen expressed her excitement at the prospect of the new year, stating that all the returning members have been extremely dedicated to AAA in the past.

"[Jay and I] are also confident that all our new members will do a great job," she said. "Not only have they had a lot of experience in organizing events, but they have also expressed and shown great enthusiasm about Asian American issues and AAA."

"We hope to create a united front and a stronger voice and presence on campus," she added