Women's Hockey Splits Blowouts

Harvard slams Colby 9-3; gets slammed by UNH

By Richard B. Tenorio, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

After a rousing 9-3 rout of Colby on Saturday, the Harvard women's ice hockey team (9-9, 5-9 ECAC) fell apart in the third period of an eventual 7-1 loss to UNH yesterday.

"We let them beat us," said junior forward Claudia Asano. "We let them do what they wanted. We made mistakes we shouldn't have."

Trailing 3-1 as the third period began, the Crimson surrendered four goals to the Wildcats (18-2-1, 10-0-1 ECAC). Senior Jen Bowdoin continued to impress in net, making numerous sprawling saves. After UNH made it 4-1 with 18:11 to play in the third, wildcat sophomore forward Kali Wilson nearly stuffed in another score.

Wilson raised her stick to celebrate the anticipated tally, but Bowdoin had made the save. UNH, though, kept testing Bowdoin with its continued presence in the Harvard zone.

"Defensively, we were very bad," said freshman Kiirsten Suurkask. "[UNH] just started capitalizing on their chances [in the third period]."

Additionally, the Wildcats outhustled the Crimson for much of the third. This proved especially damaging when Harvard could not clear a loose puck that landed just to the left of Bowdoin with ten minutes left. Bowdoin attempted to cover it, but senior forward Sara Cross poked it in to make it 5-1.

UNH balanced its offensive prowess with a stifling defense. In the third period, the Wildcats took 22 shots to the Crimson's one, as UNH continued its dominance over Harvard. In 21 meetings, the Wildcats have 20 wins and one tie.

When yesterday's game began, though, prospects seemed less dismal. Asano scored early in the first period, and although UNH responded with three goals, Harvard played solidly in the second period.

"We didn't play very well in the first," Asano said. "Our goal came really early, and we should have dominated. We played a great second period, but we didn't have the right attitude going into the third." HARVARD  9 COLBY  3 HARVARD  1 UNH  7

The team suffered another deflation as the period ended. The referee ejected Harvard junior Jen Gerometta and UNH sophomore forward Christen Ledder after a dispute broke out between both players.

"[Ledder] dropped her gloves first," Asano said. "Jen was just defending herself."

However, after heated objections from the Colby bench, both players were kicked out. Harvard will lose Gerometta for tomorrow's Beanpot set-to against Boston College.

Despite the overall bleak picture in the third period of yesterday's game, Harvard did kill off several UNH power plays.

"We definitely did pretty good on the man down," Asano said. "When we got tired, it was easier to make mistakes. Their power-play unit moves the puck really well."

Although the Crimson couldn't end its woes against the Wildcats, Harvard did snap a seven-game losing skid to Colby (2-7-2 ECAC) on Saturday.

Initially, things seemed headed the wrong way. Harvard, which was playing its first hockey in three weeks due to exams, surrendered an early goal to Colby senior forward Meghan Sittler. When the two teams had previously squared off on Dec. 6 Sittler headlined the scoring column in a 7-5 White Mule win.

"The first period was tough," Asano said. "We hadn't played in a while. We were running around and not really sure how to play."

After Sittler's goal, however, the team returned to its playing form.

"We picked it up after she scored," Asano said. "We couldn't let her get to us."

Instead, the Crimson got to the White Mule net, ripping off seven successive goals. Asano shredded Colby with three goals and an assist. Sophomore defenseman Christie MacKinnon added two goals, including the first of her Harvard career, and one assist, Gerometta fired in two more goals for the Crimson.

Colby could only respond with a goal in each of the next two periods, as sophomore Crystal Springer stopped 25 shots for her sixth victory of the season.

Tomorrow, the Crimson needs to regain its composure against B.C. Although B.C. is mired at the bottom of the ECAC standings with a 1-10-1 record, it has lost many one-goal games.

"They're a scrappy team," Asano said. "They get in people's faces."

Harvard can blunt B.C.'s edge with a renewed offensive presence. The Crimson needs to penetrate the Eagles zone and coordinate passes more effectively. UNH checkmated promising Harvard sorties by intercepting errant passes.

Most importantly, Harvard must regain the intensity with which it demolished Colby.

Suurkask summed it up the best; "[On Saturday], we had confidence that we were going to win. [Yesterday] we didn't expect to win."