Epps Negs Kegs In Favor of Cans At Springfest

Council will also provide free fried dough

By Jessica H. Fong, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Students who were looking forward to free beer at Springfest '98 will still get it, but in cans rather than kegs.

This past Monday, the Undergraduate Council allocated funds to provide eight kegs of beer at Springfest.

However, Dean of Students Archie C. Epps, III objected to the presence of kegs at the event.

"The Dean's office expressed concern that the event was being promoted as alcohol-centered," said Council President Beth A. Stewart '00.

"We will not allow kegs and have asked the council to present the event in a way which does not feature alcohol because that just sends the wrong message," Epps said.

On Tuesday, Epps and Stewart worked out the details of an alternative plan that would still allow the Council to serve beer at Springfest.

The Undergraduate Council will purchase a quantity of beer approximately equivalent to eight kegs, but in cans.

Furthermore, the alcohol will only be served midday instead of from noon to 5 p.m. and may only be consumed in a fenced area near Winthrop Gate from 12:30 to 3 p.m.

Epps said, "We've allowed the serving of alcohol in a specific way during lunch."

A Beverage Authorization Team will serve the alcohol and clear students over 21 years old and who present Harvard identification into the fenced-off area.

At most, only two beers will be provided to each student of legal age.

According to Samuel C. Cohen '00, Council vice-president and co-sponsor of the resolution to provide beer, the Council did not intend for alcohol to occupy a focal role in Springfest.

"Beer would simply be an additional attraction to attend and for helping to create the festive atmosphere," Cohen said.

Stewart emphasized that the Council had not wanted alcohol to be an issue.

"The U.C. always intended the event to be one where eligible students would drink responsibly," Stewart said.

"Although we are somewhat inconvenienced by the change from kegs to cans, we still think that the event will be a fun one, and we will of course comply with the Dean's office," she added.

Stewart also confirmed that Springfest will offer fried dough to students at no cost.

This past week, undergraduates had sent requests for fried dough to U.C.-general, the Council's e-mail list

Although fried dough had been advertised on Springfest posters, the Council had not originally allocated any money for the expense.

However, large student demand for the snack prompted the Council to ask Harvard Dining Service, (HDS) for funding.

HDS will not be serving the fried dough but has provided a grant for the hiring of an outside vendor.