Undergrad Assaulted Along Leverett Path

By Jenny E. Heller, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

An unnamed female undergraduate was indecently assaulted last Thursday night on the footpath behind Leverett House, Harvard University Police Department (HUPD) officials said.

HUPD is currently investigating the incident, which occurred at 11:30 p.m. on the path between Cowperthwaite and Grant Streets.

The suspect was described as a Hispanic male in his mid 20s with facial hair, possibly a goatee, and wearing blue jeans and a tee shirt with a distinct pattern, according to HUPD Detective Sergeant Richard W. Mederos.

Mederos said the man was about 5'6" or 5'7" tall and weighed about 140 pounds.

"He approached her on the walkway and touched her in an inappropriate way," Mederos said. "This is very unusual."

The suspect then fled toward Grant Street, Mederos said.

This is the latest in string of assaults, muggings and robberies on the streets and pathways surrounding the Harvard campus.

HUPD spokesperson Peggy A. McNamara said that two black males mugged Noble M. Hansen '00 of Mather House at the same location on March 18.

Mederos said this incident is unconnected to the other crimes.

HUPD said it plans to make extra patrols in the area to attempt to increase security.

An HUPD community advisory warned students to "be aware and become familiar with your surroundings, and learn where emergency phones are located in your neighborhood."

It encouraged students to use the shuttle or evening service or to walk in pairs.