Weld to Speak At Class Day Ceremonies

Former Bay State gov. one of 'Harvard's own'

By Barbara E. Martinez, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

This year's Class Day speaker is no stranger to Harvard Yard.

William F. Weld '66, the governor of Massachusetts from 1991 to 1997, will deliver his third speech in Tercentary Theater on June 3. Weld is the only person in Harvard's history to have given the Latin oration for both his college and Law School Commencements.

"Weld is definitely one of Harvard's own," said Carrie A. Jablonski '98, the co-chair of the class day speaker committee. "The class committee, on behalf of the senior class, is very happy to welcome him."

Jablonski said she hopes Weld will speak to the class on a personal level, especially since his son, David M. Weld '98, is a member of the class.

"I'll probably go watch him speak," David Weld said. "He's a moderately good fellow and can be counted on not to say anything about me."

While at Harvard, William Weld was a member of the Fly Club and starred as a rabbit in the Hasty Pudding Theatricals production of "Right Up Your Alley."

He is now known to return occasionally, from his Cambridge home on Fayerweather Street, and take a drink with undergraduates at the Institute of Politics.

Weld is currently a counsel to McDermott, Will and Emery in its Boston and New York offices. He resigned as governor of Massachusetts last summer to pursue his nomination as Ambassador to Mexico.

The nomination died when Sen. Jesse Helms (R-N.C.), who chairs the foreign relations committee, refused to schedule a hearing.

The "Guv-nuh" (a moniker Weld developed during his Beacon Hill days) is known for his mercurial style and wry sense humor. After signing legislation for cleaner rivers one summer he dove into the Charles River fully clothed.

His proposed speech to the 1996 Republican convention also took a dive. Weld refused to speak after he was told he could not mention abortion. His pro-choice stance is typical of Weld's moderate Republican politics.

Weld won the 1994 gubernatorial race with 71 percent of the votes in a predominantly Democratic state, but he lost a 1996 bid for the U.S. Senate.

Weld is a known supporter of gay rights andschool choice, but holds conservative views oncrime, welfare and taxes.

His Class Day speech will follow thepresentation of the Ames Award, two undergraduatespeeches and the Ivy Ode, a humorous presentationabout Harvard