Harshbarger To Face Cellucci In November

By Georgia N. Alexakis, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

BOSTON--The victory was sweet, but not necessarily surprising.

Or at least that's what supporters of Attorney General L. Scott Harshbarger '64 and Acting Governor A. Paul Cellucci said when the long-time Democratic and Republican front-runners in the state's gubernatorial primaries coasted to an easy victory last night.

Harshbarger, who enjoyed a 30 point lead over his closest Democratic opponent, former state senator Patricia McGovern, throughout much of the race's finalweeks, won 51 percent of the vote with 66 percentof precincts reporting. McGovern earned 32 percentof the vote.

Cellucci defeated State Treasurer Joseph D.Malone '78 by garnering 58 percent of the vote,compared to Malone's 42 percent with 65 percent ofprecincts reporting.

Speaking in the Imperial Ballroom at Boston'sPark Plaza Hotel last night, Cellucci, father ofAnne G. Cellucci '00, said he was ready for thenext fight against the former Crimson footballplayer and Harvard Law School graduate.

"Now the fun really begins," Cellucci told hissupporters. ""Jane [Swift] and I are delighted tobe with you all tonight and to thank you for allyour support. Jane and I will win together inNovember."

"Massachusetts has come a long way in the lasteight years," Cellucci added. "Why? Bill Weld andI brought a new approach to governing that I willcontinue."

At the Royal Sonesta Hotel in Cambridge,Harshbarger was equally enthusiastic about theupcoming race and the prospects of him becomingthe next Bay State governor.

"This is a tremendous victory," Harshbargertold the campaign staff members and supporters whoarrived at the hotel with green and whiteHarshbarger'98 posters hours before the pollsclosed at 8 p.m.

"I can't tell you how proud I am of thiscampaign," Harshbarger added, before he wasinterrupted by chants of "Scott '98." "Two yearsago, people said this could never happen. Butwe're here tonight and we're ready for November."

With the primaries behind them, campaignworkers for both candidates said their next taskwill be to unite the Republican and Democraticparties behind each of the candidates.

Cellucci, who will be speaking at Dorchester'sLucy Stone School this morning, will attend aRepublican "unity dinner" with Malone tonight.

Harshbarger will be in Dorchester as well thismorning as he attends the Democratic StateCommittee's "unity breakfast" with McGovern andhis other Democratic opponent in the primaries,Brian Donnelly, a former congressman and formerambassador to Trinidad and Tobago, who won 17percent of the vote.

"We didn't want to make the election aDemocratic food fight," said Dwight Robson,Harshbarger's press secretary. "We were and aredetermined not to take our eyes off the failure ofleadership. That's what the Democratic party willbe focusing on in the November elections."

Ilene Hoffer, Cellucci's press secretary, saidMalone's negative campaigning against the actinggovernor will only help Cellucci appeal to abroader spectrum of voters.

"Joe Malone fought a tough campaign," Hoffersaid, referring to the television advertisementsMalone ran attacking Cellucci for being liberal."I think Republicans and Democrats will rallyaround Paul Cellucci for the general electionbecause he has a message that resonates with manydifferent groups."

As for campaign supporters who celebrated atlast night's victory parties, the next seven weeksoffered them a chance to prove what they alreadyknew.

"He's going to win--there's not a question inmy mind, and we're ready to prove that," said CarlRosendorf, a resident of Weston who was a memberof Harshbarger's finance committee. "When thevoters compare the candidates' intellect, theirrecords, and their vision, the choice for theright candidate will be clear and compelling."

At the Park Plaza Hotel, Trudy Coxe, who is thestate's secretary of environmental affairs, wasjust as adamant as Rosendorf about her candidateof choice--Cellucci.

"I think as people get to know Paul over thenext seven weeks, they'll see he is a realMassachusetts boy with mainstream views thatvoters want to hear," Coxe said. "I know he canwin. I know he will."

Gubernatorial Primary ResultsDemocratic PartyCandidate  Votes  PercentageBrian J. Donnelly  89,333  17%L. Scott Harshbarger'64  274,466  52%Patricia McGovern  167,246  31%88% of precincts reportedRepublican Party

Candidate  Votes  PercentageA. Paul Cellucci  121,600  58%Joseph D. Malone'78  87,971  42%86% of precincts reported