Reynolds Dead at 97

James R. Reynolds '23, the University benefactor largely responsible for the building of Quincy House, Mather House and the Loeb Drama Center, died on Friday at his farm in Wenham, Mass. He was 97.

Reynolds had distinguished careers in business and politics, working as chief aide to former Massachusetts governor and United States Senator Leverett Saltonstall. He also served one term as a Massachusetts state representative from 1940 to 1942.

But much of his life was devoted to the financial benefit of Harvard University.

"He was recognized as one of the premiere fundraisers in the United States," said James D. Colt '54, his son-in-law.

Besides giving to Harvard, Reynolds worked hard to encourage others to do the same: he was the assistant to the president for development under former Harvard presidents James B. Conant '14 and Nathan M. Pusey '28.

He also spearheaded an $82.5 million fundraising drive for the College in the 1970s--which at the time was the largest campaign for a university in history.

Reynolds raised money for the Countway Library of Medicine at Harvard Medical School and for the endowment, scholarships and faculty salary funds. He was also a consultant in building the Science Center.

Harry Colt was an associate in the University Development Office when Reynolds worked there.

"I was very fortunate to have him as a mentor," Colt said.

After spending a year at Harvard Business School, Reynolds began a career in the textile industry as an apprentice wool sorter. He rose through the ranks of the industry to become co-owner of a small hosiery mill in Gloucester, Mass.

The mill collapsed during a 1932 strike. Reynolds later wrote in his class report, "I witnessed physical violence which involved attempted murder...management won a technical victory, but actually everyone lost."

Reynolds also served on the U.S. Strategic Bombing Survey in 1945, which evaluated the effectiveness of U.S. bombing missions in World War II. On his first trip to Germany, Reynolds was among the first Americans to see Hitler's abandoned bunker.

Tim Hollander, a close friend, said Reynolds, "rarely spoke unkindly of others, and I never heard an unkind word spoken of him, which is a rarity nowadays--a gentlemen in the truest sense of the word."

Reynolds is survived by two daughters, seven grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.