Scoops & Beans Shuts its Doors

By Adam A. Sofen, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

A Harvard Square ice cream parlor popular with students closed last month after three years in business.

Scoops & Beans, at 54 JFK St., was evicted by landlord Genevieve McMillan in August, according to the Cambridge District Court.

"He left because he couldn't pay his rent," McMillan said.

She added that the business had difficulty because proprietor Jeong W. Kim "couldn't speak English, which was unfortunate."

McMillan said she plans to rent the property again as soon as possible.

Her court-listed attorney, Mary Praught, had no comment. When reached by The Crimson, Praught said she was no longer McMillan's attorney.

Although the corporation Scoops & Beans, Inc. was chartered with the state in May 1995, it had filed no annual reports at the Department of Corporations during the past three years, in violation of state law.

Many students were upset to hear that theeatery had closed.

"That's awful! That's such a fun place!" saidPinki Mishra '99. "I went there many, many times."

Several regular patrons praised Scoops & Beansfor its wide and sometimes offbeat selection.Scoops & Beans served Christina's homemade icecream, delivered from a store of the same name inInman Square.

"They had more flavors" than other local icecream parlors, said Kyle R. Freeny '01.

Peter J. Marturano '00 said Scoops & Beans'particular variety of chocolate was one of the fewtypes of ice cream he liked.

Mishra added, "They used to have this mangosorbet that was awesome."

The ice cream parlor also offered a variety oftoppings and fillings.

"They had flavors with lots of stuff inthem--chunks and chocolate," said Mira S.Burghardt '98. "I need to have lots of items in myice cream."

Others said they enjoyed Scoops & Beans becauseit was less crowded than other choices in theSquare.

"It was usually not as crowded as Herrell's,and the atmosphere was nicer," said Aditi B. Mehta'00