Faculty Council Considers GSAS Aid Reforms

Plans for Knafel Center also discussed

By Jason M. Goins, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

The Faculty Council yesterday discussed making changes in graduate student financial aid that could be as significant as those recently announced for the College.

The meeting focused on implementing the legislation passed last fall, which was intended to reduce the financial burden on students and shorten the time it takes to receive degrees.

While yesterday's discussion was preliminary, Christoph J. Wolff'76, dean of the graduate school of arts and sciences (GSAS), said the increase in funding will help Harvard woo world-class graduate students.

While a specific price tag has not been announced, the anticipated changes are far-reaching.

"It's anticipated that the changes in GSAS financial aid, though perhaps of a different nature, will be as significant as the changes just announced in undergraduate financial aid," said John B. Fox, Jr. '59, secretary to the Faculty.

According to Wolff, Harvard's financial aid offers for graduate school students had become less competitive with peer institutions.

"The decision of [Dean of the Faculty Jeremy R.] Knowles to support the graduate programs by increasing funding for students will have a significant impact on cohorts entering next year," he said.

The Council "will have to work out a carefully balanced plan in the next couple of months," he said, but the changes will be in effect for this spring's admissions season.

Implementing the changes is expected to take three years--and it is complicated by the fact that financial aid awards are decided by the individual graduate programs. Before wholesale changes can be made, a "careful differentiation" of the needs and status of each department is necessary, Wolff said.

Students currently in graduate programs may also benefit from the changes through new fellowships to assist dissertation-writers.

"This year's Council, which did not participate in the discussion last year, was in general very pleased," Wolff said. "I think it is clear that if we are more

competitive we can pursue our goal in obtaining the very best students in a much better way."

Knafel Center Also Discussed

In addition to graduate student financial aid, the Council also discussed revised plans for the Knafel Center for Government and International Studies.

The proposed center would unify the Government department, which is currently dispersed throughout Harvard's campus. It is slated to be built between Cambridge and Kirkland streets.

But the plan drew the ire of Cantabridgians when it was announced last year.

Administrative Dean Nancy L. Maull, who discussed the Knafel Center with the Faculty Council yesterday, declined to comment until administrators have met with the neighborhood commission.

"We owe the neighborhood an explanation, and I'd really rather do that in a planned way," she said

Knafel Center Also Discussed