ROB MILLAR '99

ATHLETE OF THE WEEK

By Michael R. Volonnino

The Harvard Crimson would like to honor senior forward Rob Millar of the men's hockey team with the athlete of the week award.

The Crimson turned in its finest weekend of the season last Friday and Saturday, defeating Yale 3-2 and Princeton 5-3. Millar helped lead the way with one of the gutsiest efforts of any Harvard player.

Friday night against Yale, he staked the Crimson out to a 1-0 lead in the first period and then tied the score 2-2 at 2:09 of the second period. On Saturday, he set up what proved to be the game winning goal. In the second period Millar hit freshman forward Jeff Stonehouse with a beautiful tape-to-tape pass in the slot who then put it past Princeton goaltender Dave Stathos.

He accomplished all this despite only receiving clearance to play Friday morning after missing practice all week with a nasty viral infection the team initially feared was mononucleosis.

"[Millar's] always been a scorer, but he's really developed this year" senior defenseman Ben Storey said. "What's been good for him is he's been so confident."

Millar, the team's leading scorer, has been the Crimson's best offensive player since it began to turn its season around in mid-December against the University of Nebraska-Omaha in Omaha. Since Dec. 19, he has scored 17 of his 24 points playing on the top line with captain Craig Adams and Stonehouse.

His most memorable game in that time span came on Jan. 9 at home against Union. He nearly beat the Skating Dutchmen single-handedly, assisting on the first two Harvard goals and striking twice in the third period for a 4-3 Crimson victory.