Album Review: Go (Soundtrack) by Various Artists

By By SOMAN Chainani

I don't listen to soundtracks. I think they reek of commercial manipulation, leftovers and Celine Dion. But just like Go is the first movie I've seen twice since Showgirls, the soundtrack is the first of its kind in my collection of cassettes. (I don't listen to CDs. They reek of commerical manipulation, etc.)

No Doubt's new song "New" is a rollicking good time, despite Gwen Stefani's continuing efforts to be a vocal gymnast (she's not). The real find is "Steal My Sunshine" by Len, a giggly retro-effort that demands rewind after rewind (remember I don't listen to CDs).

Also, if you are going to any parties (which I don't do, because they reek…), bring along BT's "Believer," a song which puts the "rave" back in "techno." And of course, no hip soundtrack is allowed on the shelves without a fresh new number from Fatboy Slim, in this case not-even-the-best-on-his-album "Gangster Tripping." Other highlights include Natalie Imbruglia's somber "Troubled by the Way We Came Together" and Goldo's "To All the Lovely Ladies." The Go soundtrack don't impress me much, but is nonetheless fun stuff. Like the movie, it's an exhilirating, even if non-commital, ride through music genres of the '90s.