Album Review: This is Normal by GusGus

By Angela Lin

Electro pop. Spicy trip-hop. Techno funk. This Is Normal is anything but. Therein lies the beauty of GusGus' artistry. For anyone who's bored of the mainstream and who cringes at the thought of another lousy remix, it's refreshing to hear such unconventional fusions of sounds. Trance-like rhythms combine with ethereal vocals to form much of the soundscape in this new album from Iceland's remarkably unique pop group. In the wake of their first experimental album Polydistortion, GusGus emerges more enchanting than before. Having already established a reputation for flair and soulful character, the band returns exploring new territory. Lyrical fantasies resonate throughout "Ladyshave," exuding lusty thoughts and twisted sexual melodies. Surging words about bleak promises and misplaced trust blacken ideas of foolish admiration in "Starlovers." "Love vs Hate" contains all of five words, but the pulsating dance music is stylish and sophisticated. This Is Normal has an added feature for wannabe deejays and tired listeners--the ability to remix the album's songs on your own computer. Electronic beats throughout the album create a metaphysical plane of melody that coincides with the synthesized surrealism. It's not cacophony; it's music. And, in fact, it's damn good.