College Cracks Down on Noisy Protests in Yard

Living wage campaigners say they will defy ban on amplification

By Ross A. Macdonald, Crimson Staff Writer

Citing "intolerable" noise levels around occupied Mass. Hall as reading period begins, Dean of the College Harry R. Lewis `68 has banned amplification in Harvard Yard for the remainder of the academic year.

But members of the Progressive Student Labor Movement, who have held repeated amplified rallies in the Yard over the past weeks, say they have no intention of complying with the University's directive.

PSLM member Amy C. Offner `01 said the university's focus on the noise issue is a smoke screen designed to deflect attention from the protest and the living wage, and the protesters have no plans to silence their speakers.

Over 100 noise complaints were submitted after the PSLM's 8:00 p.m. vigil on May 2, according to Harvard University Police Department (HUPD) chief Francis D. "Bud" Riley. In Lewis' statement, he said the action is being taken "out of respect for many students living in the Yard who have complained with increasing intensity about their inability to study and to sleep" due to noise.

Offner, however, termed the administration's actions "patronizing and disingenuous," saying that the administration was acting in its own interests rather than those of the students.

"If they want the sound to end, they can end it by implementing a living wage," Offner said.

The PSLM's equipment had been powered by an extension cord into a Matthews suite, and occupants were told yesterday that they would need to unplug the system.

Myuran S. Kulathungam `04, a resident of the room said the noise of PSLM's rallies was "a mild annoyance once or twice," but that it was a sacrifice he was willing to make.

"It's not a disturbance that I'm not willing to put up with," Kulathungam said.

But according to Kurt L. Chauviere, a resident of Mass. Hall whose window overlooks the tent city and main area of protest, the noise is "unappreciated."

"There have been occasions when it's been too loud and we haven't been able to concentrate," said Chauviere, who is also a Crimson editor.

In a rally yesterday, PSLM did not activate its sound equipment, and featured speaker, Boston University historian Howard Zinn, addressed the crowd using a hand-held electronic bullhorn.

"It's a good sign that Harvard has turned off the power-it's a sign of their powerlessness," Zinn said.

PSLM continues to gather endorsements from sources outside Harvard, and yesterday Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) stopped by to talk to protesters and show his support.

-Staff writer Ross A. Macdonald can be reached at jrmacdon@fas.harvard.edu.