W. Hockey Tries For Eighth Straight

By Rebecca A. Seesel, Contributing Writer

After squeaking out a 2-1 win over New Hampshire last Sunday, the Harvard women’s hockey team is looking to unleash its offense against Providence tonight at Bright Hockey Center.

In only seven games, the Crimson (7-0-0, 2-0-0 ECAC) has tallied 42 goals. In comparison, the Friars (4-4-2, 1-1-1 Hockey East) have accounted just over half that, with 24 goals in 10 games.

But according to its coach, Harvard needs to return to the basics if it hopes to resume its offensive tear.

“We’ve got to win the one-on-one battles on the ice and finish our shots,” said Crimson coach Katey Stone.

Harvard is trying to extend a record-setting seven-game win streak that opened this season, including a 3-0 win at Providence on Nov. 11.

“Based on the fact that our team is playing really well and seems to be getting better every day, I’m confident,” sophomore forward Julie Chu said.

The blanking of the Friars had marked the triumphant return of Chu and co-captain Angela Ruggiero. The two had missed the first two games of the season while playing for the U.S. National Team in Sweden.

Both had an immediate impact, with Ruggiero tallying a goal and an assist in the win and Chu collecting three assists—helping on every goal.

Harvard isn’t overlooking the rematch, however, and expects a physical game.

“We played well, but we’d like to play better,” Stone said. “We expect to get banged up.”

Chu agreed that the game tonight will be physical.

“Some of them are kind of bigger players, and they use a lot of body contact in order to slow down the opponents,” Chu said. “They’re more of a clutch-and-grab team.”

And although Harvard hopes to return to its high-scoring days, one key for the Crimson so far has been consistency on both ends of the ice.

Harvard’s offense has averaged six goals per game and has gone 11-41 on the power play this season.

Meanwhile, the Crimson’s two goaltenders—sophomore Ali Boe and freshman Emily Vitt—have allowed only one goal apiece.

Boe, who posted the Nov. 11 shutout against the Friars, will start again against Providence tonight.

“We don’t really change our games for our opponents,” junior winger Nicole Corriero said. “One thing [Stone] always reinforces is that it doesn’t matter who we’re playing—whether its UMD or Dartmouth or the little sisters of the poor—our game always stays the same.”

Face-off is at 7 p.m.

Women's Ice Hockey