Softball Swept At San Diego State

By Robert A. Cacace, Crimson Staff Writer

Crimson softball took to the road this weekend for the opening games of the 2003 season. Though Harvard was swept in the San Diego State Invitational, elements of the trip indicate good things to come.

Harvard took a circuitous route to the Golden State. After its flight was delayed coming out of Boston, the Crimson missed its connection in Dallas-Ft. Worth and was forced to spend the night. Play was rescheduled to accommodate the mix-up.

Despite layovers and losses, lively Harvard bats and tough young pitching kept most contests tight and showed promise for a bright future in an Ivy League that the Crimson nearly won last year.

“We wanted to come out strong, stay competitive in each game, and play teams tough,” junior tri-captain Louisa Canham said. “Game situations are different than practice, so we need to get used to that.

Northern Iowa 3, Harvard 2

The season began auspiciously against eventual tournament winner Northern Iowa, when Crimson tri-captain and reigning all-Ivy Player of the Year Tiffany Whitton added to her all-time homerun record, smacking the first pitch she saw over the fence.

Unfortunately, Whitton’s blast was not enough as Harvard ultimately lost 3-2.

Freshman pitcher Michele McAteer kept it close in 4 2/3 innings of work, allowing five hits and two earned runs. Junior tri-captain Kara Brotemarkle closed out the game without allowing a run.

USD 4, Harvard 2

San Diego edged Harvard, 4-2, in the Crimson’s second game. Sophomore hurler Lauren Tanner threw four innings before classmate Lauren Bettinelli relieved her with two frames of one-hit ball.

At the plate, Whitton drove in both runs for Harvard. Sophomore catcher Laura Miller had two base hits in three at-bats.

Long Beach State 7, Harvard 0

On Saturday, the Crimson closed the day with a 7-0 loss to Long Beach State. Sabin’s clutch hitting was the story for Harvard, as she broke up a no-hitter with a last-inning single.

Brotemarkle and McAteer saw work on the mound, but were bested by active 49er bats that drove in runs in the fourth and seventh innings. Harvard committed two errors in the game, so only one of Brotemarkle’s runs was earned.

“Getting used to communicating on the field will get better with each game, said Canham. “We want to limit mental mistakes.”

San Diego State 8, Harvard 1

In Sunday’s lone match up, Harvard was topped 8-1 by host San Diego State. Brotemarkle got off to a rocky start, throwing a wild pitch and allowing two runs in the first inning.

Brotemarkle, who took the loss, was relieved by freshman Michele McAteer. She pitched 3 1/3 strong innings, but the Aztecs scored two more.

“[McAteer] showed a lot of poise and was really effective. It was impressive for a freshman to do that against such good competition,” Canham said.

At the plate, the Crimson was led by a pair of sophomores. Beth Sabin knocked in Harvard’s only run of the game in the top of the first. Catcher Cecily Gordon went 1-for-3 to finish out a hot-hitting weekend.

“The key was staying relaxed and focusing on what I had to do,” Sabin said. “I was excited to play my first collegiate game in front of my parents, so maybe that helped.”

Despite the losses, the Crimson was upbeat.

“This was a positive performance for us, considering these were our first games and the first time playing on dirt [this year],” Sabin said. “Things are looking up.”

The Crimson will be on the road this weekend, as it heads to Drexel along with Brown. The Dragons are winless this season, but might not have the chance to test themselves against Harvard. Their last several games have been cancelled due to inclement weather.

After Drexel, the team ventures south for the Buzz Classic during Spring Break.

—Staff Writer Robert A. Cacace can be reached at cacace@fas.harvard.edu.