Attempted Robbery Reported Near River

By Hana R. Alberts, Crimson Staff Writer

An unidentified man attempted to rob a female graduate student while she was walking on the Larz Anderson Bridge at 11:10 p.m. on Monday night, according to a crime alert released yesterday by the Harvard University Police Department (HUPD).

The student told Massachusetts State Police that a man riding a BMX-style bicycle approached her while she was walking on the bridge towards Allston, the alert said.

“The male slowed down and attempted to pull her handbag from her while he rode past her,” the alert said.

The offender was unable to grab the bag because the victim held on tightly, according to the alert, and the offender fled toward Harvard Square.

The victim was unable to supply a detailed description of the suspect outside of the fact that the offender was riding a bicycle and wearing a hooded sweatshirt, the alert said.

The crime alert was sent to students, faculty and staff at Harvard Business School, the Kennedy School of Government and athletics departments, according to HUPD spokesperson Steven G. Catalano.

Catalano warned students to take caution when walking alone in Cambridge at night.

“As the weather gets warmer and as we approach the end of the academic year, we know that students will be increasing their amount of outdoor activity, especially after dark,” Catalano said. “We want people to be extra vigilant, and whenever possible walk with another person, or utilize the evening van service or HUCEP.”