Softball Loses Two, Ivy Title

By Tony D. Qian, Contributing Writer

The Harvard softball team started the day looking forward to finally getting back on the field after two straight rain outs against Columbia and Cornell over the weekend. Anticipation, however, soon turned into dejection as the Crimson (15-17, 6-4 Ivy) saw itself fall behind the Big Red early in both games en route to two devastating losses—2-9 and 1-3—that shattered its hope of garnering the Ivy title.

Harvard never led in either game of its doubleheader against the Cornell (24-16, 9-3 Ivy) on Soldiers Field on Monday. In game one, freshman hurler Shelly Madick could not follow up on her three-hit performance against Penn, and allowed a two-run homerun to Ashley Wolf in the first inning and four more runs in the second. In game two, co-captain Lauren Bettinelli allowed three runs in the first inning, but settled down to pitch a solid game. The Crimson, however, could not touch Cornell starter Whitney Smith, who allowed only one run in six innings pitched.

The two losses ended a very disappointing day for Harvard, who fell to third place behind Princeton and Cornell. Princeton (33-14, 12-2 Ivy) clinched the Ivy title after winning two games at Brown Monday afternoon.

“We’ll still one of the top three teams in the league, and it’s disappointing,” said freshman catcher Sara Shaughnessy. “I especially feel very bad for our seniors who won’t win [a Ivy title].”

HARVARD 2, CORNELL 9

Madick, who has had a great run as a starter this season, could not get it going against the tough Big Red lineup. After giving up six runs, she was pulled with two outs in the second inning and was replaced by sophomore Becky Voaklander.

“Shelly was throwing her stuff,” said Crimson Coach Jenny Allard. “[Cornell is] a good hitting club. I don’t think there was anything Shelly wasn’t doing. They came out swinging their bats.”

After the two-run homerun in the first inning by Wolf, the Big Red added four more runs in the second on three hits and two Harvard errors. Cornell loaded the bases after Wolf reached on a throwing error by junior shortstop Pilar Adams. Lauren May then drew a bases loaded walk off of Madick in a 12-pitch at bat. Two more runs scored after a blooper to center field and an outfield error. Madick then walked Erin Kizer to reload the bases, and walked Samantha Hare to force in a run before being relieved by Voaklander.

Despite these struggles, teammates still have a lot of confidence in Shelly.

“Shelly is going to be a huge asset to the team in all the four years that she’s going to be here,” Shaughnessy said.

Cornell scored more runs in the third when Lauren May doubled off the fence in left center to score Adrienne Matta with two outs. The Big Red added to the blowout in the sixth by adding a pair of runs.

The Crimson offense scored its first run in the bottom of the first inning, when freshman outfielder Danielle Kerper launched a double down the left field line to score co-captain Lauren Bettinelli with one out. The second run came on a homerun by sophomore outfielder Susie Winkeller in the bottom of the third.

Madick fell to 8-4 on the season, giving up four earned runs, five hits, and five walks. In relief, Voaklander gave up seven hits and three runs.

HARVARD 1, CORNELL 3

Game two began on an ominous note when Cornell scored three runs in the opening inning.

“Both games, we had a tough first inning,” said Crimson coach Jenny Allard. “We didn’t make adjustments early enough to stop their hitters.”

Harvard looked overmatched throughout the game, and didn’t threaten until the seventh inning. The last inning began with consecutive base hits from senior first baseman Cecily Gordon and Kerper. The Big Red then brought out Jenn Meunier—the first game’s starter—to save the game for Smith.

Senior Beth Sabin promptly hit an RBI single to right center to score pinch runner Shaughnessy to put Harvard on the scoreboard and put runners on first and third.

The Crimson rally ended, however, when pinch runner Winkeller was thrown out at second trying to steal. Meunier then struck out the next batter and induced a groundout from the last batter to close out the game.

In her outing, Bettinelli gave up three runs, seven hits and struck out four, and dropped to 0-4.

“[Bettinelli] did an incredible job,” said Shaughnessy. “She came in against a huge swinging team, and she shut them down after the first inning.”

Softball