Harvard Still Looking For Season’s First Win

Crimson to face Penn State, St. Mary’s in Harvard Invitational

By Emily W. Cunningham, Crimson Staff Writer

As the Harvard women’s soccer team plays host to three teams this weekend, it will be hoping its guests will be just gracious enough to let it emerge with its first victory of the season.

This weekend, the Crimson (0-4-0, 0-0 Ivy) hopes to break into the win column at the annual Harvard Invitational at Ohiri Field.

The Crimson may still be winless, but its opponents have included four teams that played in the NCAA tournament last season. The competition won’t be easing up this weekend as it draws nationally-ranked Penn State (2-2-2) today and St. Mary’s (1-5-0) on Sunday.

“The team is as positive as it can be,” said Harvard coach Erica Walsh, alluding to the winless start. “We recognize that our season doesn’t start until September 24th [the team’s Ivy League opener vs. Penn] and that this is still our preseason.”

The Crimson will face a tough matchup to kick off the tournament. Penn State has been a national powerhouse in recent years, recording only one loss to accompany a NCAA berth last season. The defending Big Ten conference champions are still waiting to get on a roll, however, having started the season with a mediocre 2-2-2 record.

Aubrey Aden-Buie is a player to watch for the Nittany Lions. The junior striker has netted three goals in the last three games, including the game-winner last Sunday in a 1-0 victory over Bucknell.

But Harvard realizes that it needs to concentrate on its own game plan, rather than being caught up in the success of its opponents.

“For Penn State or any of the games ahead, we’re still focusing on our play,” Walsh said. “We want to continue with the improvement on our side of the ball.”

On Sunday, the Crimson will stand a good chance to pick up its first win. The Gaels have struggled offensively during a five-game losing streak, scoring just four goals during that stretch. In its latest loss, they dropped a 2-1 decision to Air Force last Sunday despite dominating in shots (14-5) and corner kicks (8-1).

St. Mary’s offensive struggles are welcome news for Harvard, which has also had trouble finding the back of the net. The Crimson picked up its first two goals of the season in its fourth game last weekend against Boston College.

It’s been the consistently strong back line, led by sophomore Zoe Sarnak, freshman Lizzy Nichols, and freshman goalkeeper Lauren Mann, that has kept Harvard in games.

Though the Crimson is still hoping to emerge from the weekend with a win, its leaders are confident that the team will continue to improve as it moves toward league play.

“The tough schedule will really pay off, especially for a young team,” co-captain Laura Odorzyck said last Thursday after a 1-0 loss to Central Connecticut State. “When we’re facing Ivy League teams, we’ll be able to ask ourselves if we think they’re better than anyone we saw in September, and the answer will be no.”

The action kicks off this afternoon at 1:30 with Harvard vs. Penn State University, followed by St. Mary’s vs. Northeastern University (4-1-0). On Sunday, the Crimson will play St. Mary’s at 1:30 and Penn State and Northeastern will kick off at 4.

—Staff writer Walter E. Howell contributed to the reporting of this story.

—Staff writer Emily W. Cunningham can be reached at ecunning@fas.harvard.edu.

Women's Soccer