Sociology

Could You Be A Little More Vague?

Sociology is one of those loose terms—like “life coach” and “low-fat”— which could mean pretty much anything.  Books like “Blink” and “Freakonomics” have brought fame to this broad, vague area of studies, but even its aficionados are hard-pressed to define it. In reality, Sociology, the “study of groups,” combines psychology, economics, history, statistics and government. Undergrads taking Sociology range from wannabe Social Studies concentrators to indecisive history buffs. That’s right: in Sociology, you’re exempt from QR! (If you don’t yet see why this is a good thing, please turn to page 8). Harvard has many social sciences to choose from and for those prone to dabbling, Sociology is an all-you-can-eat buffet.

Housed on the 5th and 6th floors of William James Hall, the department is smaller than most of the other social sciences.  Trekking to the massive phallic symbol, inconveniently located on Kirkland Street, can be hell on a snowy day, but you can spend that extra time thanking your lucky stars you`re not going to Vanserg. The building offers two roomy lecture halls (usually reserved for cores and graduate classes) and a labyrinth of cramped classrooms in which you will get to know your professors and fellow concentrators a bit too well.  On a nice day and with enough whining, most professors and TFs can be persuaded to hold class outside WJH in the courtyard. Between classes, students often take advantage of the cafeteria on the second floor, the comfortable library couches for a nap, or the chance to guinea pig themselves in psych experiments for petty cash.

Most of the professors have been around the department for quite a while and will act like over-excited puppies if you show up at their office hours. Professor Peter V. Marsden, who teaches the required statistics class, is always happy to go off on a tangent about his children and ends every class saying “For once, we got out on time.”

Sophomore tutorials cover the same lengthy theory texts social studies concentrators read, but in much smaller doses and with lots of practical application (Read: less room for BS’ing. Sigh). Tutorial’s TFs are famously engrossing, supportive and approachable.

Two classes worth noting for their interesting subject matter and attraction of non-concentrators are Jason Kaufmann`s Sociology 153, “Media and the American Mind,” and Prudence Carter`s Sociology 60, “Sociology of Race and Ethnicity.” The former’s pop-cultury material is accessible to anyone who resides outside of a cave and Kaufmann`s opinionated rants, outlandish personality, and penchant for underground hiphop make lectures worth attending. Carter is famous for being a better adviser than she is lecturer, but the class offers an interesting perspective on a difficult problem.

Inexplicably (or, perhaps, rather explicably), the number of sociology concentrators in the class of 2008 is about half that of the class of 2007.  Nevertheless, the department is doing its best to appear trendy and upbeat with guest lecturers and events, as well as the appearance of Sociology hoodies (available through the department website, for all you nerds out there). If the number of concentrators continues to decrease, sources speculate the catalog may grow to include Sociology booty shorts and thongs. Sociology 243, “Economic Sociology,” anyone?