Sundquist-Sarafa: Experience and Perspective the UC Needs

By Sangu J. Delle, Tiffany T. Niver, and Alexander J. Tennant

We all know that Harvard students and student groups alike face many challenges from the College administration. With an Administrative Board (Ad Board) that lacks peer representation, undergraduates are left in the dark about major decisions that affect their lives. With a party grant system under scrutiny, even socializing at Harvard has become unduly stressful. Matthew L. Sundquist ’09 and Randall S. Sarafa ’09 have the experience, the perspective, and the dedication to stand up for student interests and continue to improve life on campus.

The new Undergraduate Council (UC) President and Vice-President have the chance to establish policies that will benefit students for years to come. Student group funding and Ad Board reform—two of the central topics that Matt and Randall will address—are issues that affect every student on campus. The Ad Board is a particularly serious concern this year because the College’s new alcohol policy now places student group leaders at higher risk for disciplinary action than ever. Matt and Randall are also committed to improving University Health Services’ mental health care, because when students reach out for help, they need to know that an accessible and sustainable plan of treatment awaits them.

The importance of these issues is clear. Figuring out the best way to handle them, though, is not. If the UC is going to make important changes affecting student life, from reforming the Ad Board to getting in-suite cable television, then UC leaders must be skilled at working with the administration. The University administration will not suddenly agree to make changes after 30 years of resistance simply because the UC leadership asks them to.

It takes a unique understanding and a dynamic plan to undertake these challenges. Matt and Randall have this requisite experience. Starting on their first day in office, they will work with the administration, and build upon their already impressive record of results.

Though they have both dedicated an incredible amount of time to the UC, Matt and Randall are also very connected to the wider college community. They will bring a realistic and a holistic perspective to the issues facing this campus. As smart, kind, and down-to-earth as they are experienced, we value their friendship just as much as we do their leadership.

We are confident that Matt will be able to effectively lead the UC in achieving new reforms. From his successful campaign to change the calendar, Matt learned how to negotiate with the administration on major issues.

Like Ad Board reform and the cable television initiative, changing the calendar had been discussed fruitlessly for years before Matt and UC President Ryan A. Petersen ’08 were able to make it happen. Matt’s dedication to getting the job done, even when there was little glamour in his success, has continually impressed us. He spent last summer in Cambridge just to work on UC issues. Whether he was spearheading UC discount cards or stuffing envelopes to reach out to over 800 alumni, Matt’s passion and drive made last summer the most productive in the history of the UC.

Matt also has the personal experience to lead the way for Ad Board reform. The College has announced that it will conduct a review of the Ad Board, but the committee overseeing the process lacks student input and has no mandate to make changes. The student body will need a strong, experienced leader to fight for meaningful results. Matt has guided numerous students through their Ad Board cases, and as a result, he uniquely understands the current system and its flaws. We are sure that Matt will push for Ad Board reforms that finally incorporate students and address other concerns.

Randall’s experience handling UC finances will be an invaluable complement to Matt’s background in advocacy. Student groups and House Committees receive the bulk of their funding from the UC, so the most important service the UC does for many students is simply writing a check. Especially given the recent restrictions on party funds, it is absolutely critical for the UC to have leaders who understand the complex process of funding and who can negotiate with the University to defend the interests of students.

Randall also has the advantage of being a student group leader himself. Last year, he served as the Vice-President of the Society of Arab Students. He understands the financial challenges and frustrations student groups have to deal with every day.

Outside their work on the UC, Matt and Randall are actively engaged in Harvard student life. Both are enthusiastic members of campus student groups, as well as Peer Advising Fellows. Matt is also a Dorm Crew captain and a proud participant in Mather intramural sports. In fact, he spent this past semester recruiting a more diverse set of UC candidates. Following the outreach to freshmen women that Matt and current president Ryan Petersen organized this fall, there are now nearly twice as many women on the UC as there were last year.

Matt and Randall have seen firsthand the issues and challenges that face students and student groups. With their impressive record of calling for and carrying out reforms, they are the ideal duo to lead the UC. We are proud to call Matt and Randall our friends, and sincerely hope to call them the President and Vice-President of the Undergraduate Council next year.

Sangu J. Delle ’10, brotherhood chair of the Black Men’s Forum, is an economics concentrator in Quincy House. Tiffany T. Niver ’08, President of Women in Business, is a joint concentrator in psychology and economics in Adams House. Alexander J. Tennant ’08, First Marshal of the Class of 2008 and Vice President of Harvard Student Agencies, is a government concentrator in Winthrop House.