Friars Too Much for Crimson

Poor shooting from the line, porous defense doom Harvard

By Alison E. Schumer, Contributing Writer

The Harvard women’s basketball team (4-4) could not finish its lay-ups or free throws, as the squad lost to Providence (7-2) 78-64 last night at Lavietes Pavilion.

“When you get the shots you want on the block and the uncontested easy shots and you don’t put them in it takes its toll and it took

its toll on us,” coach Kathy Delaney-Smith said.

In the beginning of the first half, each team played shot for shot,but as the initial frame wore on, Providence began to pull ahead. In the last four minutes of the game, sophomore Brittany Dorsey and freshman Mi-Khida Hankins combined for seven points that allowed the Friars to end the half with a 37-30 lead.

In the first half, Harvard went only 2-of-8 on its free throws, compared to Providence, which went 5-of-6.

In the second half, Providence came out strong and scored on its first five possessions, extending its lead to 13. It looked like momentum was going to change when co-captain Lindsay Hallion handed the ball off to junior Niki Finelli, who hit a three-pointer from the

top of the key. But Harvard could not hold onto the momentum for long as Providence answered immediately.

“I think a lot of it was us responding to the momentum shifts in the game for Providence,” Finelli said. “I didn’t feel like we were in a

good flow at any point. It was a fight all the way in second half.”

Co-captain Jessica Knox came off the bench to give the Crimson sparks of momentum throughout the game. Knox was the high scorer with 15

points on the night, which included two temporarily momentum-changing three-pointers in the second half.

“[Knox] was her brilliant self, blue-collar worker—what do you need done I’ll do it,” Delaney-Smith said. “We wanted them to do

quick offense, drive to the basket and that is what she did.”

Throughout the game, the Crimson maintained a high level of intensity, a problem it has had in the past. Even deep into the second half, when the Providence lead grew, Harvard seemed to have a chance to close the gap.

“I was really pleased with our energy,” Knox said. “That is a problem we’ve had this year and last, it tended to be inconsistent. I think

tonight we kept good energy throughout the game.”

A problem that plagued the Crimson throughout the game—and the season—was the fact that it has not yet found a player to fill the shoes of

forward Christiana Lackner ‘07. Throughout the game, Harvard forwards failed to capitalize on their easy opportunities.

The Crimson played in a 2-3 zone for the majority of the game, but dangerous perimeter shooters Dorsey, junior Shantee Darian, and

freshman Megan Jackson started hitting three-pointers. In response, Harvard switched into man-to-man, which brought problems of its own.

“They started to get comfortable with our zone, and started hitting threes,” Delaney-Smith said. “Then we tried to switch to man and that

is where our match-up nightmares reared their head.”

Women's Basketball