Nas, "Hip Hop Is Dead" (Def Jam Records/Columbia Records) - 4 stars

By J. samuel Abbott, Crimson Staff Writer

Most hip-hop fans want nothing more than that beat-plus-rhyme-induced euphoria. So when an album full of those overwhelmingly awesome moments comes along, we are powerless to resist. Forget the title: Nas’ new album, “Hip Hop Is Dead,” is a reminder of why “this rap shit is real,” as our hero declares in the aptly-named closing a cappella track, “Hope.”

The record is simple, thoughtful, and classy as hell without being stiff or anachronistic. “Where Are They Now,” an homage to the countless one-hit-wonders and has-beens of rap history, is fitting because it’s as alive as the great tracks that all those forgotten heroes left us. Other highlights—and by highlights, I mean songs of overwhelming beauty and musical power—include the title track, “Let There Be Light,” and “Can’t Forget About You.” Best of all, Nas and Jay-Z reconcile on the triumphant “Black Republicans."

It might finally be time to accept the post-”Illmatic” Nas. His effortless flow throughout the album and his mere happiness to be on the mic suggest that this is nothing less than another hip-hop classic.