SPORTS BRIEF: Opening season on road in Florida, baseball goes 2-1 at Jack Russell Stadium

By Loren Amor, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard baseball team began its season this weekend, going 2-1 in the first three games of a four-game trip to Florida against opponents Quinnipiac, Duquesne, and Notre Dame at Jack Russell Stadium in Clearwater, Fla.

Yesterday, the Crimson shut out Notre Dame by a score of 4-0.

The win came thanks to the performances of freshmen pitchers Eric Eadington and Max Perlman.

Eadington started the game, managing 4 2/3 scoreless innings despite walking six batters.

Perlman came on in relief in the fifth, blanking the Fighting Irish with 4 1/3 innings of two-hit baseball to get the win.

Junior third baseman Steffan Wilson provided the offense for Harvard, driving in three runs, including two on a double down the right-field line in the fifth.

Shaky defense cost the Crimson the second game of its Saturday doubleheader.

Harvard committed five errors against Duquesne in its 6-4 loss, giving up four unearned runs.

Sophomore hurler Adam Cole took the loss for the Crimson, falling victim to an 11-strikeout performance by his counterpart on the Dukes, Jeff Naughton.

In its first game on Saturday, Harvard defeated Quinnipiac, 4-3, in 10 innings.

The Crimson’s offense was paced by RBI doubles from juniors Tom Stack-Babich and Matt Kramer.

Harvard used six pitchers to close out the victory, including Wilson, who picked up the win after 1 1/3 scoreless innings of relief work.

The Crimson plays its fourth game in three days today against Tampa at 1 p.m. in Tampa, Fla.

Baseball America’s preseason pick to win the Ivy League begins its conference slate at Penn on March 31.

Baseball