Gustav Prompts Cancellation of Monday Activities

Party fears reminder of Hurricane Katrina memories

By Prateek Kumar, Crimson Staff Writer

ST. PAUL, Minn.—Delegates and Harvard affiliates at the Republican National Convention applauded the Republican leadership's decision to cancel the festivities of the first day out of respect to victims of Hurricane Gustav, which is threatening the Gulf Coast.

The idea of continuing with partisan activities during Gustav, which made landfall west of New Orleans around 10:30 a.m. EST this morning, had made some Republicans uncomfortable because of worries that the party would look out of touch if it held a celebration in the midst of a natural disaster.

Republicans were also worried that Gustav might remind Americans of the Bush administration's response to Hurricane Katrina in 2005, which many experts have said was inadequate and marred by tactical blunders.

"There is certainly a bit of disappointment over the cancellation of some of the festivities, but it was the right thing to do," said Caleb L. Weatherl '10, the immediate past president of the Harvard Republican Club and an alternate delegate from Midland, Texas.

"Mostly though, there is an overwhelming sense of concern for those directly affected by the hurricane," Weatherl continued. "We will all keep those that are in harm's way in our prayers over the next several days."

Other attendees agreed that the GOP had made the right decision to suspend the majority of events on Monday

"What you've got to do is put your country first, especially when two million people are being displaced by such a catastrophe," said Representative Heather A. Wilson of New Mexico. "We need to put our politics aside and assess the situation day-by-day to make final decisions. I think that we've certainly made the right decisions so far."

Weatherl noted that the cancellation of events was necessary and appropriate given the expected destruction from Gustav.

"John McCain and the RNC have taken decisive action to ensure that the needs of those affected by what looks to be a catastrophic hurricane are placed above partisan politics," Weatherl said.

"I'm glad to see that the focus of the convention has been shifted to remembering and supporting our fellow Americans who are in need of all of our prayers right now," Weatherl added.

—Staff writer Prateek Kumar can be reached at kumar@fas.harvard.edu.