Blasting Off on ‘A Space Adventure’

The Harvard Story-Time Players bring meteors and morals to kiddies in Science Center performance

By Ali R. Leskowitz, Crimson Staff Writer

Tomorrow, aliens will be invading the Science Center! Luckily, these aliens are just friendly creations of the Harvard Story-Time Players’ (HSTP) original interactive musical, “A Space Adventure,” co-directed by Sarah F. Schlegel ’10 and Qi Yu ’11. Written, produced, directed, and performed by students, “A Space Adventure” follows mischievous aliens who go off on interplanetary adventures, encountering many comical characters along the way, only to discover that there’s no place like home.

While HSTP typically performs shows to entertain and cheer up children in Boston area hospitals, “A Space Adventure” is being presented on campus as lighter theatrical fare for any one wishing to revisit a small part of his childhood. “The show is more for sheer entertainment than our usual public service function,” says HSTP president Hunter H.A. Landerholm ’09.

Though the show is primarily designed for children, its organizers are convinced that older audiences will still appreciate it. “A Space Adventure” delivers positive life lessons for all, encouraging enthusiasm for learning and warning against judging a book by its cover.

“Older members of our audiences will get a good laugh at the silly antics we put in the show and appreciate the creativity that was put into the costume and set design,” Yu says. The set and props are economical and practical, to allow for easy travel to and from hospitals, but this does not detract from their creativeness; according to Landerholm, “They tend to be bright colors, very flashy, and fun for the kids.”

For the first time in years, HSTP’s show also incorporates song and dance. “Music always cheers people up,” Landerholm says. “If we can provide 15 minutes of a bright spot in people’s days, then that’s great.”

—Staff writer Ali R. Leskowitz can be reached at aleskow@fas.harvard.edu.